Best skid plate for '08 YZ450F?

12 replies to this topic
  • rdefonce

Posted December 02, 2008 - 10:04 AM

I'm looking for one that protects well (I'll be riding in rocks occasionally), but is easy to get off for oil changes, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2008 - 11:09 AM

I run a Devol, mostly because it's inexpensive, and I had to buy two of them. :bonk: The front and bottom coverage is good, but the engine case protection could be better. Good enough for stuff you run up against, but looks a little vulnerable to a fall over in the rocks.

I leave it on for oil changes. I use a 12mm swivel socket for the oil tank drain, and made an oil catch channel out of sheet metal to direct the draining oil off the back of the plate. Not too hard to remove, though.

• Matt_W

Posted December 02, 2008 - 11:15 AM

I recommend the flatland racing (www.flatlandracing.com) skid plate for serious off-road riding. It's extremely thick and provides full coverage front to back, including water pump and stator cover. With practice it's not to bad to get on and off.

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 02, 2008 - 01:16 PM

I have had a moose racing one on my 426 for a year, and it has excellent side, bottom and front protection. Super thick aluminum, Including water pump, and stator. Plus it looks good too @ $98.99 with all hardware included. Also has drain hole on bottom that is lined up perfectly with drain plug, so you dont have to take it off every oil change.

• rdefonce

Posted December 02, 2008 - 01:59 PM

Guys, thanks for quick responses!
I will choose one now. I'm leaning towards a more full-coverage one since we usually ride in Colorado at least every other year . . . lotta big rocks there.:-o

• endurodog

Posted December 02, 2008 - 02:35 PM

I shouldn't respond because I can't remember the name of the one I have on my 08 but I did have to do some trimming to give me access to the oil drains. Make sure you keep that in my when choosing one. Sorry I can't remember the brand name.

Grey did you just bend a V shape thing to get the oil down from the right side of the case drain? Great idea

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • davcon

Posted December 02, 2008 - 06:18 PM

I like the GYTR. The dealer had it on the shelf so what the heck. Just got the bike last week and put the plate on the same day. Fits perfectly with three bolts. So far so good.

Posted Image

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 02, 2008 - 06:26 PM

Oh I forgot, If you want to see what the moose racing plate looks like, sheck the pics out.
http://i248.photobuc....4/IMG_0599.jpg
http://i248.photobuc....4/IMG_0606.jpg
http://i248.photobuc....4/IMG_0610.jpg

• Justin89

Posted December 02, 2008 - 06:31 PM

Get a full Light Speed Carbon Fiber skid plate!:bonk: and look like the pros...and pay for it like the pros too!::bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2008 - 06:36 PM

Grey did you just bend a V shape thing to get the oil down from the right side of the case drain? Great idea

Yeah, kinda. It's a little more complicated than a simple V, and the one I have now is prototype II, and isn't perfect.

What I think I'm going to do is to bore a 1" hole in the bottom corner of the skid plate so that I can run a piece of thin tubing through it with the end cut to slip under the drain plug. I think that will work better.

The trouble with the drip tray currently is that oil tends to run over the inboard edge, behind the drain hole, because of the turn that it has to make right out of the drain.

• Burke5903

Posted December 02, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Go with the MOOSE! It's as solid as the rocks you'll be bouncing off. I have one on my WR250 and I just take it off to change the oil, even though the holes line up for an easy oil change. I figure if I take it off I can unload the 5 pounds of trail crud I've harvested over the last few weeks since the last oil change.

• endurodog

Posted December 02, 2008 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, kinda. It's a little more complicated than a simple V, and the one I have now is prototype II, and isn't perfect.

What I think I'm going to do is to bore a 1" hole in the bottom corner of the skid plate so that I can run a piece of thin tubing through it with the end cut to slip under the drain plug. I think that will work better.

The trouble with the drip tray currently is that oil tends to run over the inboard edge, behind the drain hole, because of the turn that it has to make right out of the drain.

Way good info Grey! Thanks. If you could keep me updated with what you figure out that would be great. Currently I'm just letting it drain into the skidplate, drip out, and power washing the bike. Don't like that method but it's easier than removing the skid plate everytime and I need to wash the bike anyway.

• grayracer513

Posted December 02, 2008 - 09:45 PM

Don't like that method but it's easier than removing the skid plate everytime and I need to wash the bike anyway.

The thing I dislike about that is that I very much prefer the bike to be clean while I work on it, so an oil change would mean an extra wash job.

I'll keep you up on what I do next, but it's down my list a ways right now.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.