Done something really stupid!

13 replies to this topic
  • Sean_McCutcheon

Posted July 04, 2002 - 01:08 PM

Today I went to change the oil in my bike and when I went to loosen the crankcase drain bolt the rachet was in the tightening position and I over tightened it. So now the threads are stripped out. I saw in earlier post that some people used heli-coil or time serts. What is better and where do you get it?

• evl2evil

Posted July 04, 2002 - 07:14 PM

[ July 04, 2002: Message edited by: evl2evil ]

• evl2evil

Posted July 04, 2002 - 07:22 PM

Hey Sean, sorry about your luck.I can't offer much advice to you i've never had that problem. I'M still planning on going back up to Nelsonville this weekend,let me know if you get it fixed and if you're planning on coming down.

• Follett

Posted July 04, 2002 - 10:54 PM

Hi Sean, I did the same thing. Took it to my local dealer & put a heli-coil in with a larger bolt. Changed my about $40. I think I now need to be careful as you can't screw this up too many times! Good luck. Rich

• Liam

Posted July 05, 2002 - 12:52 AM

Timeserts are easier to fit correctly compared to helicoils, but both are very effective once fitted. You should find that the new thread is much better/stronger than the original.

You can get this done by pretty well any jobbing engineering/machine shop. You may find a local motorcycle dealer can do it too.

• TeamScream

Posted July 05, 2002 - 11:10 AM

You can also do it effectivly yourself, find the right helicoil at a good hardware store, and the plastic helicoil installation tool is only a few dollars more, this way you can drain ALL the oil out yourself, carefully stuff a small rag (piece) in the hole BEFORE you run a tap through the threads you buggered up, then reach back up in there with a gook of some kind to grab the rag piece, so that when you pull the rag piece out hopefully the metal shavings that you create will come out also, then you can use a turkey baster to inject some #2 diesel fuel in there (slowly) to flush out the remaining particles, and finally after that you can use some contact cleaner to sanitize the threads you created for the helicoil and even apply some blue loctite to the outside of coil itself (not standard proceedure). I GUARANTEE that your dealer will NOT take this level of care with your bike, but if you do you will be assured of a sanitary job and one where you can almost guarantee that no aluminum shavings will be left behind in your engine and that the helicoil is is installed at the correct depth and straight.
The diesel fuel flush is done from the bottom through the drain plug hole and its not like you want to shoot a gallon of fuel up there, just little squirts at a time to flush the particles out.
Once its all back together put cheap oil in it, run it for a few minutes and then drain it, and replace it with your good oil of choice.
Diesel is like super light oil and contains NO friction modifiers that could possibly harm your clutch, it is totaly safe to use in THIS fashion.
Good luck

• Drinkn_Buddy

Posted July 05, 2002 - 01:46 PM

If you attempt to tap it out yourself try loading down your thread chaser with Bearing grease. This way all the small aluminum particles will stick to the grease and not go into your case. This will not prevent all shavings from entering your crankcase, but should eliminate the majority of it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SoCalWR426

Posted July 05, 2002 - 03:06 PM

Liam, TeamScream and drinkinbuddy are all correct. But since I'm real anal about chips in my crankcase I would follow their advice plus I would use the shop vacuum to suck out those chips at the same time. If your dealer would take any of these precautions I would be impressed! I know my local dealers sure wouldn't. They can't grab their a$$ with both hands..

• S_Phillips

Posted July 09, 2002 - 07:01 AM

lefty loosie
righty tighty :) :D :D

• John_H

Posted July 09, 2002 - 08:18 PM

Just a thought about the shavings from tapping the hole. I changed the little woman's XR oil the other day and was looking at the screen they use for an oil filter. It's not a very fine mesh. I'm wondering how important it really is to keep those little pieces out of the circulating oil???

The longer I have my bike (and the more work I do on it), the less I worry about those little things. I figure the oil filter will catch most of them and if I think I have some big pieces, I'd change the oil prematurely just in case. Oil changes have gotten pretty quick and easy over time.

Good luck with your repair.

• XRider

Posted July 10, 2002 - 06:39 AM

Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty!

In all seriousness, that sucks.

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted July 10, 2002 - 07:45 AM

I got the helicoil in and the bolt went in nice, but there is oil leaking from there now when the bolt is tightened up. What should I do to stop the leak.

• S_Phillips

Posted July 10, 2002 - 08:30 AM

SEAN - What I did for that was just cut out a piece of a silicone sheetto make a gasket, and it's worked just fine

XRider Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty! In all seriousness, that sucks

XRIDER - In all seriousness you are too serious, lighten up man.

• WR_Jason

Posted July 10, 2002 - 11:45 AM

Did you use any lock tight or silicone on the coil when you put it in?
If you did not use any sealer when you put the thing in your kinda screwed,,, (pun, get it?)
you wont be able to seal it after the fact,,, the oil will just seep through,,, at least I have never been able to seal someting that has already leaked,,,

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.