Warped Rear Brake Rotor

6 replies to this topic
  • Cdn_Rdr

Posted January 24, 2003 - 07:41 AM

I just noticed that my rear rotor is warped. With the rear wheel off the ground, when I spin the tire, the rear caliper moves back and forth about 1/8". Is this a serious problem, will it wear out the sliders on the rear caliper? Can it be straightened? Roughly how much is a new one, aftermarket or OEM?
Your help would be appreciated

• Wicked_Crash

Posted January 24, 2003 - 08:28 AM

I ran into this problem a few months ago. Take the wheel off the bike and use something with a straight edge such as a metal ruler to find where the rotor is warped. Mark the area and use an adjustable wrench to bend it back. It shouldn't take too much to straighten it so don't be too forcefull so you don't break anything. Good luck.

• MOmilkman

Posted January 24, 2003 - 09:08 AM

If you cant get it straight, then 99 times out of 100 you can find someone on here thats willing to sell a stock one pretty cheap (Cheaper than a dealer)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted January 24, 2003 - 06:23 PM

Rocky mountain sells replacements for like $50.

But the crescent wrench trick works also.

• Bamster

Posted January 25, 2003 - 05:47 AM

I straightened mine with a large cresent wrench.
It's about the only thing that wrench is useful for.
Where abouts in Ontario are you?

• Cdn_Rdr

Posted January 27, 2003 - 07:23 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll try the Cresent Wrench approach.

I am from the Hamilton area. I mostly ride around Turkey Point, Gopher Dunes, Welland Canal, and a bit of the Ganni.

• Bamster

Posted January 27, 2003 - 09:04 AM

You should come over and do the Calibogie 2 day ride.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.