Can Hot Start button be used for test?

4 replies to this topic
  • divebobber

Posted December 01, 2008 - 09:03 PM

I have a 2000 426f. Does anyone know if the Hot Start button provides a lean condition throughout all throttle settings, or just at idle? The reason I'm asking is, I'm wondering, if it leans things out throughout the throttle range would it be useful in determining the need for leaner jets? Along with that thought, would using the choke do the same thing in the other direction? I.E., if it runs better with the choke button out, would that not indicate you should jet richer? I've tried searching for this question and haven't found it, so here it is.

• BC3

Posted December 01, 2008 - 09:09 PM

It would have to be VERY rich or very lean.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2008 - 09:53 PM

No, it would not be a valid indicator. It has less effect the more you open the throttle. However, if the engine runs better at idle or off idle with the hot start pulled, it would indicate a very rich condition, such as high float level, etc.

• divebobber

Posted December 01, 2008 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Just a thought.

• motojoe_23

Posted December 03, 2008 - 12:37 PM

In my experience, yes, somewhat. But you have to really know what you are looking for and symptoms.

It wont "fix" the issue to the point you go "oh it was lean", or "Oh it was rich" because it now runs right. It can improve or make it worse to a small extent, and f you know what you are looking for it can help diagnose.

But you still have to know what you are doing in the first place.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

• Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.