Rivets Keep Busting Out of My Muffler

10 replies to this topic
  • NorCal

Posted December 01, 2008 - 02:50 PM

What are the alternatives to rivets on my muffler? The rivets closest to the engine on the
muffler keep breaking. I'm thinking screws or allen heads, but I have know idea. What
works best?

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2008 - 03:24 PM

The trouble with screws is there is nothing to put threads in. You could use cage nuts (nuts with an attached spring clip), but these can cause the can to fit the front bulkhead poorly. They might work for you, though.

Try steel rivets, or go up one size.

• MX926

Posted December 01, 2008 - 03:49 PM

Aluminum rivets vibrated out of mine, Staineless steel rivets stay in very well.

• jrny426

Posted December 01, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Man I'm obviously not working my bike like you guys...Rivets coming out ???WOW

• NorCal

Posted December 01, 2008 - 07:15 PM

The trouble with screws is there is nothing to put threads in. You could use cage nuts (nuts with an attached spring clip), but these can cause the can to fit the front bulkhead poorly. They might work for you, though.

Try steel rivets, or go up one size.

Alright, sounds like I'm using crappy rivets then.

And yes, I ride the hell out of my YZ.:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted December 01, 2008 - 07:40 PM

I had a similiar problem with the stock muffler on my wifes bike. I ended up putting license plate screws in it. The plate screws have a huge taper and they fit really tight, she never lost any of them.

• zuch95701

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:36 PM

OR you can do what i did get some 2 part epoxy and stick nuts on the back of the rivet holes and use screws and some blue lock tight.

• buzzfin

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:52 PM

I use hex head, self tapping sheet metal screws on mine. Seems to be holding fine.

• Navy509

Posted December 02, 2008 - 01:17 PM

I had the same problem on the white brother exhaust w/discs. I went up a size in rivits, it worked a short while then they started to fail, the best soultion for me was to replace with a new one, I chose a FMF, it runs and sounds 10X's better.

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 02, 2008 - 01:24 PM

I had aluminum ones fall out of my stock 426 exhaust. I used steel ones and never had another problem.

• JYZ566

Posted December 02, 2008 - 07:14 PM

I thought this could be a sign that the packing is blowing out? Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.