Tanks tanks tanks

3 replies to this topic
  • uw153

Posted January 24, 2003 - 04:09 AM

I know you guys have been covering the tanks for the R model but how about the L model? I am looking at IMS, Aceribis, and Clark. Does anyone have pics of these on there bikes? I would like to get red. Do any of these companies have a good red that matches the 01 Honda red even close?

• XR_Freak

Posted January 24, 2003 - 10:47 AM

uw153, I have the IMS 4 gal. on my 02 650L and I'm very happy with it. No problems at all so far. The install only takes a few minutes and the color matches great. The finish is not as quite as shiny as the stock plastics, but the tank looks good. A little bit tricky at first getting used to the additional weight after topping off the tank. I don't think I'd like to try a 5 gallon tank for that reason. On the street, no big deal. But top the tank off and hit some tight trails an you'll feel the top heaviness for sure. Check it out. Later, Mike

http://home.ptd.net/...aro/1cemoto.JPG

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • uw153

Posted January 26, 2003 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Freak, yours is a nice look'n ride. I am looking to get the "Q" FMF myself, any suppestions? I.E. jetting. I already have a K&N air filter in it "snorkel not removed" but still the stock jetting. So far increadibly lean. I just picked the bike up before Christmas so I haven't had much time to take it apart and play with the jetting. I already have a '98 DR 650 with a K&N jet kit and Supertrapp IDS2. Right now the Suzuki will easily outrun the XR.

• XR_Freak

Posted January 26, 2003 - 12:46 PM

uw153, I haven't had any problems with the Q pipe at all and would recommend it. I ordered mine from www.bajadesigns.com the guys there were a big help. They'll ask you what your elevation is, and send you the correct jets for your pipe and altitude that you live in.
I've never ridden a DR 650 before, but I did buy my bike brand new and can honestly say that the power of the 650L in stock form is pretty pathetic. I was very disappointed the first time I took mine out for a ride. That's what got me looking around the net for ways to improve it. The way that my bike performs now is just incredible. You wouldn't believe that it's the same bike. You have to rejet your bike, pull the snorkel and get yourself a pipe. I also dropped the gearing quite a bit, that makes a huge difference also. The bike just makes incredible torque now. It's loads of fun to ride. If I can help you with anything just let me know. Later, Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.