Dual Sporting a 426

2 replies to this topic
  • gbphantom

Posted November 30, 2008 - 08:19 PM

This may be incredibly stupid and feel free to tell me so, but isn't the reason you need to change the bottom end out on a YZ to WR due to flywheel weight? I'm not a mechanic or claim to be but if you used some of the flywheel weights people talk about to make it a better trail bike solve the problem? I could be and sure I am way off base here so someone set me straight/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2008 - 09:01 PM

No. The reason that one would change from a YZ450 crank to a WR is to be able to use the WR stator and flywheel to drive lighting. That works only on '06 and later models. The '03-'05 YZ450 requires the change of the complete lower half, including the crankcases.

However, none of that is necessary on the 426. You can simply bolt in the WR426 electricals (there is a wiring mod needed) using the existing crank.

The flywheel weight is an improvement for trail work, but it isn't the main reason for the swap.

• gbphantom

Posted December 03, 2008 - 03:28 PM

Cool thanks grey. You are like a human fact book for YZ's

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.