Snowride!

33 replies to this topic
  • shelberford

Posted December 26, 2008 - 10:55 PM

OK, Why is the Explorer a "pile"? I am new here so I am asking for objective answers from someone who is trying both products.

I think it depends on what you want to use it for. Do I want to get out and play in the snow on a small bike with a lower cost system? Or would I rather go balls out and build a monster with high end kit? I am trying to figure that out with an open mind to what is available...

• Dobber1

Posted December 27, 2008 - 02:17 PM

OK, Why is the Explorer a "pile"?

The first clue would be the 'poster's' age...:busted: I've got one (18 yr. old), so that part was easy to figure out. So...I'm saying he just full of sh_t.

• sausage boy

Posted December 27, 2008 - 05:52 PM

just for you GENERAL infomation the explorer is a pile and does not in ANY way compare to the Radix.

quite an interesting comparison you have going on. i did quite a bit of research before i bought the Explorer, i came up with 4 main reasons to buy the Explorer over the Radix, 1, width of track. 2, adjust-ability. 3, cheaper price. 4, time it takes to swap back to a dirt bike.
i don't think any of these kits will work well in the deep powder, because the bikes don't make enough HP, most dirt bikes are around 50hp, most snowmobiles are way over 100hp with the 900cc and 1000cc pushing over 200hp. :busted:

• shaunone

Posted December 31, 2008 - 04:33 PM

Ok, so having ridden both kits, the verdict is...I like them both. The explorer kit handles way better on hardpack, it feels like there is a lot less ski pressure and therefore less "darting". In the powder however, there is no comparison. On the explorer, I can pull second gear tops in the deep stuff, the thing basically bogs out. With the 2moto, I can run 4th gear tapped with ease. Unfortunately for the 2moto, handling on the hardpack is dicey at best. I find if your on the gas, (less ski pressure), things are great. If you chop the throttle, the engine braking causes increased ski pressure and a very unstable front end. Needless to say, high speed on the trail can cause some serious arm pump. Also worth noting, the 2 moto hooks up very well, while the explorer tends to drift when giving it gas (on the hardpack). This makes it a little more exciting to ride on the trail. I will give the slight edge to the 2 moto kit just because most of the riding I will do is in the powder, but I dont think its worth DOUBLE the price of the boivin kit....my .02

P.S. Both kits are installed on WR450's

• Dobber1

Posted December 31, 2008 - 04:57 PM

Nice review. I'd really like to ride the 2moto! Any idea why the 2moto has better powder power/track speed? Gearing of the kit or ???
Thanks,
Dobbs

• sausage boy

Posted December 31, 2008 - 05:27 PM

[quote name='shaunone']Ok, so having ridden both kits, the verdict is...I like them both. The explorer kit handles way better on hardpack, it feels like there is a lot less ski pressure and therefore less "darting". In the powder however, there is no comparison. On the explorer, I can pull second gear tops in the deep stuff, the thing basically bogs out. With the 2moto, I can run 4th gear tapped with ease. Unfortunately for the 2moto, handling on the hardpack is dicey at best. I find if your on the gas, (less ski pressure), things are great. If you chop the throttle, the engine braking causes increased ski pressure and a very unstable front end. Needless to say, high speed on the trail can cause some serious arm pump. Also worth noting, the 2 moto hooks up very well, while the explorer tends to drift when giving it gas (on the hardpack). This makes it a little more exciting to ride on the trail. I will give the slight edge to the 2 moto kit just because most of the riding I will do is in the powder, but I dont think its worth DOUBLE the price of the boivin kit....my .02[quote]

i totally agree with you about the explore in the powder, i can just get 3rd on my WR going down hill in powder, i think its the width of the track, i'm looking to buy an 08 RMZ450 so i'll try the explorer on that.
before i bought my kit i did wonder how a bike with less that 50hp would pull that track, i ordered an 08 Husqvarna SM610 which i think would have ripped in the powder but unfortunately for me Husqvarna were being taken over by BMW so my 610 never came. my WR dose struggle to pull 4th gear up hill (on hard pact), down hill it goes way to fast. i know exactly what you mean about drifting the rear, its great, it feels like supermoto, but danger lurks on every corner, i have high sided it twice, once going flat out in 4th on a bend over a crest of a hill, the bike flew through the air and nearly landed on me. i always wear full body amour now, it can get dangerous.
i like me old Mucca Dobber1 would also like to try out the 2moto
:busted:

• sausage boy

Posted December 31, 2008 - 05:30 PM

Nice review. I'd really like to ride the 2moto! Any idea why the 2moto has better powder power/track speed? Gearing of the kit or ???
Thanks,
Dobbs

hey dobbs i have some cool pics but i have no idea how to download them? come on mate give me an clue? :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dobber1

Posted December 31, 2008 - 06:49 PM

hey dobbs i have some cool pics but i have no idea how to download them? come on mate give me an clue? :busted:

You've got to use photobucket. There's a "sticky" in the Pictures & Videos Forum that explains how. Check out Mike's new videos on Snowest also. My WR is down right now. The "kid" hit a land mine and split-out the bottom of the left inner fork tube. :moon:

• sausage boy

Posted January 01, 2009 - 09:09 AM

You've got to use photobucket. There's a "sticky" in the Pictures & Videos Forum that explains how. Check out Mike's new videos on Snowest also. My WR is down right now. The "kid" hit a land mine and split-out the bottom of the left inner fork tube. :busted:

left fork leg as you look at the bike or as you sit on the bike? i have a spare bottom right looking from the seat.

• shelberford

Posted January 01, 2009 - 10:52 AM

Great input on the two kits! After watching the videos it is amazing how differently the Explorer and Radix go through deep snow. The Radix seems to stay level and carry the speed with the super long wheelbase. The Explorer goes through "chopper style" with the ski up and steering loose. I guess neither will work well on a WR250R due to lack of power. Looks like I will just have to stick with gravity and human powered winter sports. Thanks!

• Dobber1

Posted January 01, 2009 - 11:14 AM

left fork leg as you look at the bike or as you sit on the bike? i have a spare bottom right looking from the seat.

As you sit on it, but thanks anyway. Let's see those pics!

• durangoman

Posted January 10, 2009 - 03:47 PM

did you buy yours from the Fun Center in Durango?

I saw the explorer there yesterday mounted on a Kawa450. The explorer looks like it would be a blast.

• motoxrider121

Posted January 27, 2009 - 10:02 PM

ok so maybe i shouldn't have called the explorer a pile. I was thinking of deep snow when i said that. I agree that the 2moto isn't as good as the explorer on the harder snow. But what about that other kit that has the best of both worlds and can be adjusted for any snow conditions.

• KillerHiller

Posted January 28, 2009 - 07:37 AM

ok so maybe i shouldn't have called the explorer a pile. I was thinking of deep snow when i said that. I agree that the 2moto isn't as good as the explorer on the harder snow. But what about that other kit that has the best of both worlds and can be adjusted for any snow conditions.

What other kit?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.