4th gear bad?

44 replies to this topic
  • Mazzeppi11x

Posted December 20, 2008 - 07:51 PM

So, went out and rode the bike today, I has a completly rebuilt trans and new top end. And it is doing the same thing. still "skipping" in 4th. Weve replaced the gears, the sprockets , and the chain, so the last thing is the clutch. Again, it pulls hard in every gear except 4th. But its got to be the clutch. what else could it be?

• husky300racer

Posted December 21, 2008 - 08:20 AM

did you replace the shift forks aso?

• Mazzeppi11x

Posted December 21, 2008 - 09:13 AM

yes, and every gear

• husky300racer

Posted December 21, 2008 - 04:49 PM

I would have to say you don't have much choice but to replace it. if everything is new, did you inspect the shift drum also. a good way to test your clutch is to put it in 3rd gear and try to pull out, if it doesn't stall, it's junk!

• 801pe

Posted December 21, 2008 - 05:36 PM

How old are the clutch springs?

• Mazzeppi11x

Posted December 22, 2008 - 08:30 AM

its great in every gear, and i did the stall test. it stalls.

Ive had the bike for a year, and ive never replaced the clutch, I dont know if it was replaced before i had it. and the clutch springs look stock!! lol , so im hoping this is it. Clutch kit and springs are on the way!!!

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 02:59 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]I have been following this post since the beginning and I feel for you Bro....I remember you saying the shift fork looked good and we all said to replace it regardless of the appearance.......Not being there to experience some of these HELP PEOPLE situations sucks (Just like this one) Now that you have replaced a MILLION dollars worth of parts....It would be pretty sad if it was the clutch all the time....Did your Mechanic friend check the clutch for wear? (clutch pack height) [/COLOR]

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 03:03 PM

[COLOR="Blue"I probably should have read this statment better....

[/COLOR]
TT Newbie
Mazzeppi11x is on a distinguished road
Add to Mazzeppi11x's Reputation Report Post
it doesnt pop out of gear ever, but i guess ill do it neway while its apart

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 03:05 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]When the dogs are worn and the fork is bent, it will jump out and the engine will rev up......It wasn't doing that....you even told us that....[/COLOR]:busted:

• bansheeater1

Posted December 22, 2008 - 05:04 PM

You have a bent fork shift....not a big deal but will cost you a little.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mazzeppi11x

Posted December 22, 2008 - 06:00 PM

THE forks were replaced!!! every single gear and fork inside the trans is brand new!!! the clutch plates, basket, pressure plate and springs are the only thing that have not been replaced. the clutch is stock i think. it never jumps out of gear ever

• BC3

Posted December 22, 2008 - 09:40 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Didn't anyone read my follow up on this post?[/COLOR]

• Mazzeppi11x

Posted December 24, 2008 - 08:27 PM

put in new clutch, still didnt fix the problem. Im at my wits end

• grayracer513

Posted December 24, 2008 - 10:16 PM

OK, let's go over this again.

This happens only in 4th, right? Never in any other gear?

Does it happen only under a fairly heavy load? Can you make it stop by rolling back on the throttle?

Is the "slipping" more like a hard physical jerk, as if the chain skipped a tooth under a load?

• Mazzeppi11x

Posted December 24, 2008 - 10:24 PM

it is a hard jerk. it has gotten so bad the i cant ride the bike in 4th anymore. i used to be able to roll back and it go away, but now its so bad it doesnt matter how much throttle is on it. if i put it on the stand and rev it slightly while its in 4th, i hear it bad/ its only in 4th

• grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2008 - 12:06 AM

Did you see the new gears go into the trans?

• Mazzeppi11x

Posted December 25, 2008 - 09:32 AM

i have the old gears. my mechainc never said he replaced all the ring gears, he said they looked fine. but, he WILL replace every little gear and bearing and shimmy in that thing or hell die!!!:busted:

• BC3

Posted December 25, 2008 - 10:42 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]We have been told a couple different symptoms from the beginning.......First you said it wasn't JUMPING OUT OF GEAR....Just slipping..
Now it is actually jumping out of gear......I think from everything that has been talked about you need a better mechanic.......Not trying to slam anyone, but dude...If a good mechanic splits the cases to repair the tranny.....It usually gets fixed...... I hate RE - WORKS....[/COLOR]

• BC3

Posted December 25, 2008 - 10:46 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]Can you take a picture of the dog side of the gears he replaced? And the fork....[/COLOR]

• Mazzeppi11x

Posted December 25, 2008 - 11:21 AM

maybe your right. ya ill take pictures when i get home

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.