easier clutch pull

51 replies to this topic
  • GASKICKER

Posted December 02, 2015 - 05:49 PM

I just swapped out 3 springs and the pull feels similar to that of my boys CRF100. Still need to swap out the cable to complete this.

• bourneaussie

Posted December 04, 2015 - 05:55 AM

So is it much lighter than before you swapped out the springs?

• GASKICKER

Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:26 AM

So is it much lighter than before you swapped out the springs?

My forearm suggests that its 20-40% easier to pull. I had my 11 yr old son go out and pull it last night as well as his crf100 - he came back in and said they felt the same.

Edited by GASKICKER, December 04, 2015 - 06:27 AM.

• bourneaussie

Posted December 04, 2015 - 06:35 AM

My forearm suggests that its 20-40% easier to pull. I had my 11 yr old son go out and pull it last night as well as his crf100 - he came back in and said they felt the same.

So a fairly big improvement then. I was hoping that would be the answer haha. I'm going to my yammy dealer tomorrow to try and get some 250 springs

• GASKICKER

Posted December 04, 2015 - 07:04 AM

So a fairly big improvement then. I was hoping that would be the answer haha. I'm going to my yammy dealer tomorrow to try and get some 250 springs

Yes, I wish I had some subjective way to test it out, pre and post, but i dont. You'll be pleased with the results. 30 mins to do the job and only $8 for the parts as I didnt replace the gasket.

• bourneaussie

Posted December 06, 2015 - 03:26 AM

Does anybody have 3 wr250 clutch springs for sale? (Maybe you bought a set so have a spare 3 springs.....?)
My Yamaha dealer has got any in and the cheapest I can find them for on eBay is $34 which seems like daylight robbery to me!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GASKICKER

Posted December 06, 2015 - 07:25 AM

Does anybody have 3 wr250 clutch springs for sale? (Maybe you bought a set so have a spare 3 springs.....?)
My Yamaha dealer has got any in and the cheapest I can find them for on eBay is $34 which seems like daylight robbery to me!

Ebay or rockymountainatvmc....rockymountain is just down the street, so i got mine from them as an oem part.
Whats shipping cost to aus from the states?

• Nuklhed

Posted December 06, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Anyone else's solution the same as mine:  forearm exercises? 

Not to 'holier than thou' anyone, but I can do about five minutes of very slow, one finger constant clutch use around the yard before fatigued.  No problems at all when riding trails.

And, you can scoot the perch inboard a little to utilize the outermost portion of the lever by the ball end.

Edited by Nuklhed, December 06, 2015 - 07:39 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 06, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Anyone else's solution the same as mine:  forearm exercises? 

Not to 'holier than thou' anyone, but I can do about five minutes of very slow, one finger constant clutch use around the yard before fatigued.  No problems at all when riding trails.

And, you can scoot the perch inboard a little to utilize the outermost portion of the lever by the ball end.

I once estimated the amount of times I had the clutch lever tensioned in for shifiting, modulating, or coasting over 35 miles at my local riding spot Rowher flats (about 3.25 hours not including stops), and I

came up with approximately 175 times.....nearly once a minute on average.....

....and on this little 5 mile trail (on which I stop at 2 miles) it's probably 200 times...every few seconds or so....

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 10, 2015 - 11:39 AM

I once estimated the amount of times I had the clutch lever tensioned in for shifiting, modulating, or coasting over 35 miles at my local riding spot Rowher flats (about 3.25 hours not including stops), and I

came up with approximately 175 times.....nearly once a minute on average.....

....and on this little 5 mile trail (on which I stop at 2 miles) it's probably 200 times...every few seconds or so....

What camera did you record this with? The quality is pretty awesome. You must either ride a lot or have your clutch pull dialed in perfectly for your hand not to get tired after all of that. After watching your video, I realized how little I use the clutch when I ride, which is bad I know, but in the trails I ride in, you are pretty much in first or second gear the whole time (at least I am) until you hit an open field. Wherever that place was it looks awesome. I'm assuming you live some place out west?

Edited by RiderDeAzul, December 10, 2015 - 11:41 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 10, 2015 - 12:06 PM

What camera did you record this with? The quality is pretty awesome. You must either ride a lot or have your clutch pull dialed in perfectly for your hand not to get tired after all of that. After watching your video, I realized how little I use the clutch when I ride, which is bad I know, but in the trails I ride in, you are pretty much in first or second gear the whole time (at least I am) until you hit an open field. Wherever that place was it looks awesome. I'm assuming you live some place out west?

I never use first unless it's vertical

13/50 gearing

In that video I am in second or third the entire time, including at a near stop.

That is a gopro hero 3 using all the highrez settings, on wide.

Yes, I ride a lot. 250 hours a year typically.

This is a 'hidden' trail near a local OHV park outside of Los Angeles

• RiderDeAzul

Posted December 10, 2015 - 12:40 PM

I never use first unless it's vertical

13/50 gearing

In that video I am in second or third the entire time, including at a near stop.

That is a gopro hero 3 using all the highrez settings, on wide.

Yes, I ride a lot. 250 hours a year typically.

This is a 'hidden' trail near a local OHV park outside of Los Angeles

I would love to go out west and ride, that trail looks awesome, all the trails around my house are atv trails, so they are wide, usually have a ton of mud holes, and almost no hills. The only place that I ever really enjoy riding at around here is Mines and Meadows and that is when it isn't super muddy. Planning on taking a trip to Hatfield and McCoy trails next summer, but I have a feeling everything there is going to have giant mud holes especially with the amount of people that ride there. Was that 1080p 30fps or 60fps? My brother has a gopro hero 3+ silver, but I haven't ever really used it before, and his videos don't come out with that great of quality. I actually enjoy a stiff clutch pull, I'm always scared that when it is too easy to pull that it isn't engaging and disengaging correctly, I like the "stiff" springs more than the softer ones.

Edited by RiderDeAzul, December 10, 2015 - 12:42 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.