Case... Can it be fixed?

28 replies to this topic
  • BC3

Posted December 01, 2008 - 11:46 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]As I explained earlier, to weld your case to will have to disassemble them......Which is fine if you have the money to do that...Being that I have worked in M/C shops for 15 years and have owned my own shop for ten and now being the owner of a welding shop that specializes in Aluminum welding and the repair of many cases, I suggested the epoxy sealer
to save you some money (since I have had good success with JB Weld) You will have to decide from this point which way to repair it...... [/COLOR]

• BC3

Posted December 01, 2008 - 11:51 AM

For some reason my camera will not focus when I try and take a pic that close. The seal that is in there is the old one, I have a new one that I haven't put in yet. Do you think it can be welded without pulling the motor, seems like it could be? Thanks

Are you not paying attn: It takes 2000 degrees to melt aluminum......
If you think the counter shaft bearing will deal with 2000 degrees
then have a welder weld it :bonk:

( Now you know why it is VERY IMPORTANT to keep your chain adjusted and serviced)

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2008 - 12:07 PM

Are you not paying attn: It takes 2000 degrees to melt aluminum......
If you think the counter shaft bearing will deal with 2000 degrees
then have a welder weld it :bonk:

Actually, aluminum melts at 1218 F. The counter shaft bearing would never rise to anywhere near that temperature using a TIG welder. Whether the crack can or should be repaired in place depends a great deal on exactly where and how severe it is, and a competent welder would be able to make that determination. Still, it generally makes a far better repair to disassemble the engine.

• BC3

Posted December 01, 2008 - 12:25 PM

1220.58 to be exact .....the 2000 degrees just came out in frustration...
I have repaired these cases before both assembled and apart...Believe me
if it is a crack to an oil galley cleaning it won't keep the oil from getting into the
weld and making a mess.....

Posted Image

I welded these cases in the frame.....BUT You could clean ALL the OIL out ......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mnichols

Posted December 02, 2008 - 07:52 AM

Taking it to the shop today, if he thinks it can be welded... great, if not I'll be taking it apart. Thanks for the input.

• mnichols

Posted December 03, 2008 - 06:19 PM

Got lucky. He was able to weld it up with only a minor issue. There's a oil passage right there (case is about a 1/16 inch thick there) and a piece of the case fell into it when he was cleaning it up. Pulled the oil seal and it was sitting between the bearing and the seal. He was able to clean out the passage pretty good and get it welded, a little thicker this time.

• 642MX

Posted December 03, 2008 - 07:46 PM

Good deal!

• 426 NOOB

Posted December 03, 2008 - 11:18 PM

sweet, saved you money and hassle

• BC3

Posted December 05, 2008 - 07:36 AM

[COLOR="Blue"]Case 1/16 thick.....All that heat went directly onto the counter shaft bearing.....hopefully it won't fail....[/COLOR]

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.