Case... Can it be fixed?

28 replies to this topic
  • mnichols

Posted November 30, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Well, just had my engibe rebuilt and took it our for my first ride on it. Long story short, it threw a chain. Cleaned the bike up today, started it and now I see where my oil leak came from after the chain came off. I have a small crack on the case behind the front sprocket (where it's still flat and starts to meet where the clutch cable goes in)... can that be fixed or am I looking at a new case? Thanks

• endurodog

Posted November 30, 2008 - 01:19 PM

You could always put some JB Weld on it and that fixs those types of issues really well. Without seeing the crack I would be very curious if it is a crack. There are many casting flaws that look like cracks and the chain throwing oil or a leaking counter shaft sprocket seal could be the real issue.

• gtxkid

Posted November 30, 2008 - 01:24 PM

CAT Epoxy
They sell it in small mixer cups.
Lets see a photo.

I would worry more about gettting the shavings out.

• mnichols

Posted November 30, 2008 - 01:32 PM

I'll try and find my camera and post a picture. It's more of a puncture/crack. When I did it, I thought the oil came from the seal so I stopped at the bike shop on the way home and ordered a new seal, chain guide and gaurd. After cleaning it today, I see it's not the seal.

I stared the bike and that's when I saw where the puncture/crack was by the oil coming out pretty good. Thanks

• 426 NOOB

Posted November 30, 2008 - 03:57 PM

I have seen jb weld, seal these types of cracks up well. As long as the surface is clean, it will stick and then you can sand it down to look almost flat and repaint that side of case with pj1 case paint. My buddy did it and it looks almost like stock. If you didnt know it happened you wouldnt even notice it there

• mnichols

Posted November 30, 2008 - 04:12 PM

how do you post a picture. I have it on my desktop? Thanksl

• 642MX

Posted November 30, 2008 - 04:25 PM

how do you post a picture. I have it on my desktop? Thanksl

Go to www.photobucket.com, create a free account and it will tell you how to load the pictures. :bonk:

• craigdieselmac

Posted November 30, 2008 - 04:51 PM

I know some of the parts on my 426 are magneseum (I think it is just the valve cover and the flywheel cover)... which cannot be welded, but if your case is aluminum, go to a machine shop and have it welded, as long as you are sure there are no pieces inside the case. A good aluminum welder can patch it up and file it down and it will almost look like there was no fix done.... really do need to see pics though to make a good recomendation. JB weld or other epoxies are pretty awesome, but I would be scared of them coming off while you are riding and relieving you of all your oil... bad news for you and the trail

• mnichols

Posted November 30, 2008 - 04:54 PM

hope this works.http://s383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/mnichols1971/?action=share&pic=IMG_0003.jpg

• mnichols

Posted November 30, 2008 - 04:56 PM

http://s383.photobuc...2/mnichols1971/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • craigdieselmac

Posted November 30, 2008 - 05:03 PM

The pics are pretty blurry but I would get it welded.

• 642MX

Posted November 30, 2008 - 06:35 PM

The pics are hard to see, can you get some clearer pics?

• BC3

Posted November 30, 2008 - 06:49 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]Tig welding will kill that seal and with oil in the joint it will not weld good at all....I would clean the area and try the CAT sealant....Welding would require dis assembly to do it right...

BC [/COLOR]

• rexbond007

Posted November 30, 2008 - 07:05 PM

i am a welder, and get it welded. Do it right the first time.
jb weld and epoxy glues fall out after a while, especially when adhering with oil contaminated surfaces . then if you do decide to get it welded, the welder has to grind out where the epoxy was because the glues have contaminated the good weld area,making a bigger hole to weld. glues does not mix well with filler material.
My two cents worth with dealing with glue patch jobs.

• mnichols

Posted November 30, 2008 - 07:28 PM

For some reason my camera will not focus when I try and take a pic that close. The seal that is in there is the old one, I have a new one that I haven't put in yet. Do you think it can be welded without pulling the motor, seems like it could be? Thanks

• 642MX

Posted November 30, 2008 - 07:51 PM

For some reason my camera will not focus when I try and take a pic that close. The seal that is in there is the old one, I have a new one that I haven't put in yet. Do you think it can be welded without pulling the motor, seems like it could be? Thanks

Thats a question you would want to ask a professional welder. If I was you, I'd load the bike up and take it to a welding shop and ask their opinion.

• craigdieselmac

Posted November 30, 2008 - 08:07 PM

I would take the advice to load it up and see what a professional says, it won't cost you a ton of money to fix and will last forever, or until your chain decides to hook you up again.

• endurodog

Posted November 30, 2008 - 08:46 PM

A note about JB Weld. I had an 05 CRF and the clutch cover on those are magnets for the lever to go through, mine did early on causing it to have oil pour out. I cleaned the outside and JB Welded it and it lasted over a year until I sold the bike, with the JB Weld cover still on it. Never leaked. No doubt welding would be the best option but may require more effort, money, and time.

• mnichols

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:18 AM

Called around to a few places and it sounds like the motor will have to pulled, split the case, etc, etc. Not what I wanted to hear after just getting the bike back together. What sucks is that I had new front/rear sprockets and chain on order that just hadn't shown up before taking it riding.

• Wiz636

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:51 AM

hope this works.http://s383.photobucket.com/albums/oo272/mnichols1971/?action=share&pic=IMG_0003.jpg

The link works, but if you copy and paste the 'img code' into your message the pics will show up here in this thread.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.