Recommended WR 450 paddle tire?

8 replies to this topic
  • dbailey223

Posted November 30, 2008 - 11:10 AM

I have an 03 WR 450, but an extra 19" real wheel from a YZ. What is the recommended rear paddle tire size and number of paddles?

• kskyles

Posted November 30, 2008 - 02:31 PM

go with an 8 scoop paddle. the kings turbo paddle and cheng shin have worked really well for me.

• dbailey223

Posted November 30, 2008 - 04:00 PM

Thanks. Is there a noticeable difference between a 6 and 8 paddle? I went out yesterday with a 6 (vs an 8 that I borrowed previously), and I didn't near the hill climbing ability.

It was also the wrong tire for the bike, I understand, being a 100/90 which is more suitable to a YZ 250. So, I'm trying to figure out if the number of paddles was the big difference or the other tire dimensions?

• waterman7474

Posted November 30, 2008 - 06:35 PM

i just put on a kings 8 paddle and was out at Armagosa all weekend and it did VERY well. i had a hard time keeping the front wheel down if it got too steep.

it rained on wed and thurs so the sand was still a little wet on fri and it bogged down a little in the hard stuff but this morning (sun) it was stellar when it got softer.

i think the ribs on the king paddle definitely help with the straight line stability. i ran next to a guy in on a honda 450 and he was all over the place.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted November 30, 2008 - 06:56 PM

Saturday was windy, and the sand was pretty firm, at least to me in my limited experience in the sand.

I'll check out the kings, because I was all over the place with the Cheng Shin

• 1991cbr600f2

Posted November 30, 2008 - 08:43 PM

air press, has alot to do with traction, also check on the yz side, since its a 19". I have has 2 king's and they worked and lasted well (18" 8 paddel version).

• waterman7474

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:41 AM

Saturday was windy, and the sand was pretty firm, at least to me in my limited experience in the sand.

I'll check out the kings, because I was all over the place with the Cheng Shin

pressure does make a big difference, i run down around 8.

geometry makes a biiiig difference too. i push my tubes all the way down in the trees for the sand. its a big help with stability.

yeah...saturday was crazy windy. you really couldn't even be outside without goggles on for most of the day. nice thing was that it ran lots of people off and sunday was much nicer and less crowded. i didn't see too many wr's out there (one 426 and one or two newer wr's and a yz or two). were you out there all weekend or just sat? mine had a desert tank and a luggage rack with a little tool bag.

nice little jump on the mini-dunes on the north side
Posted Image

• Himsa123

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:52 AM

+1 on the turbo paddle

• dbailey223

Posted December 01, 2008 - 10:01 AM

Waterman, I was out there Saturday 9 am to 1 pm ish. Couldn't do the bigger hills with gusto like I could with the 8 paddle that I had borrowed on my prior, and first, sand trip to Dumont, or I would have stayed longer.

But, I'll be back for sure, and with a better paddle!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.