WR450F versus WR426F

6 replies to this topic
  • Kimball

Posted January 23, 2003 - 02:55 PM

Just a few questions about comparisons between the WR450and WR426 (since I haven't seen or ridden with the 450).

Clutch - does the clutch go off when overheated (ie it can't be feathered) in heavy conditions like the 426 (maybe this could be answered with the technical bulletin)

Overheating - does the radiator boil in extreme technical going like the 426 (embarrassing when riding with XR's !)

Are the bars still steel that bend in a strong wind

Is the cockpit cramped for riders over 185cm (6'1) - does the bike need a top adjustable triple clamp

Does the motor still have the smooth linear power curve ?

Kimball

• radruss

Posted January 23, 2003 - 03:39 PM

Here's a review of the WR450F from down under http://bikepoint.nin...p?bikeID=118656
This may answer some of your questions.

• Dodger

Posted January 23, 2003 - 06:32 PM

Clutch - does the clutch go off when overheated (ie it can't be feathered) in heavy conditions like the 426 (maybe this could be answered with the technical bulletin)

Overheating - does the radiator boil in extreme technical going like the 426 (embarrassing when riding with XR's !)

What the hell are you talking about dude???? Come ride some of the single track around CO here buddy, I'll bet dollars to donuts that if your bike is over heating and your clutch doesn't work, you'll be the only one!

Does the motor still have the smooth linear power curve ?

YZ/WR's have never had a "liner" power "curve", their set apart because of it.

Sounds like a riding style problem to me...........

Late

Dodger :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted January 24, 2003 - 08:25 AM

Totally agree with Dodgers,

Never felt clutch weakness even on the road
Power delivery feels more like a two stroke snap. :)

I'm 1,87m and 175 pounds and have never felt uncomfortable on this bike.

Bye

• r1superstar

Posted January 25, 2003 - 06:21 AM

I have none of these problems either, and I ride the piss out of my WR426F. Hmmmmmmmm..................I am six foot and there is plenty of room for me. Not too sure what you are talking about here. :)

• ddialogue

Posted January 25, 2003 - 12:22 PM

The stock bars were too low for me, but I'm 6'2". I put a set of Jimmy Button bend Renthals on my 02 WR426 and that made it feel more roomy for me. The bike was perfect everywhere else.

• Kimball

Posted January 27, 2003 - 03:36 PM

A quick TT search reveals numerous posts on protaper clamps, riser bars etc to move the standing position forward and upward for the WR426F. Also all the YZ/WR riders I know have ditched the standard steel bars.

I wouldn't call the WR426F (with standard WR timing) peaky or two stroke-like. My old IT490 was two stroke like. My mate's CR500 is two stroke like. The old Maico 490 was two stroke like. Where's the powerband on the WR ? I'd call the standard WR426F power delivery tractable and predictable. Read how many riders have YZ timed and BK'd their bikes to get more snap. I never thought 'crikey, wish I had more snap on my IT490'

The clutch has faded when pushed, the KTM and Huskys with me didn't on the same terrain. Also the WR boiled, the others didn't. An ex A grade enduro rider I ride with is always advising "feather the clutch" - usually when the clutch is only fully engaging or disengaging. The winners in the technical enduros, they're usually European bikes. How many reports state that the WR out the box is "race ready"?

What I was after is information on whether Yamaha as a corporation has remedied some (of the what I perceive ) weaknesses of the WR426F. This doesn't mean that it wasn't a great bike, or even an allround class leader. Or that the shortcomings couldn't be remedied.

Kimball

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.