'06 CRF450 high idle when hot

5 replies to this topic
  • mxvet37

Posted November 29, 2008 - 03:58 PM

This is weird. For the last couple of months my bike starts to idle really high after about 5 laps (MX) when it gets hot. It also feels like it starts to lose some snap and overall power. Some time ago, I had Tokyo Mods totally redo the carb, top end and valves and the bike was a rocket. This is a relatively new problem. I take meticulous care of it. Clean the air filter every ride, change both oils every other and change the oil filter every 4th ride. Been playing around with the fuel screw but it hasn't really helped. Any ideas? Thank you.

• 941MXVET

Posted November 29, 2008 - 06:45 PM

If the weather has changed recently, you may require re-jeting. You should be able to turn down you idle from your idle screw located on the rider's left of the carb. If not try a different pilot jet maybe.

• maddogyz250f

Posted November 29, 2008 - 07:56 PM

I had a YZ450 that acted like this and I never figured it out. Once the bike got warm, I just turned the idle down and it was fine. It fixed itself so I suspected some gunk in my carb or something else transient.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PolskaSax

Posted November 30, 2008 - 08:33 AM

My 06' does it too. I usually have to turn the idle screw down 2-3 times while riding. I havent noticed any power loss though...

• Lilnuts

Posted November 30, 2008 - 08:38 AM

Something is either going leaner when the bike gets hot. Or it's too lean from the get go and you don't notice it until it gets hot. Try a richer pilot jet. how far out is your fuel screw? if it is more then 2 fulls turns then you could stand to richen the pilot.

And try replacing your coolant with some good stuff. Water wetter etc.

• zZCRF450kmnZz

Posted November 30, 2008 - 08:58 PM

my buddys 03 is doing this i dont get it...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2014 outdoor motocross predictions by ImAHondaMan

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  67 replies
Forums
Photo

Reviews? by quadgirl2

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 20 replies
Wiki
$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool - last post by calco88

$10 PGM-FI HRC Tuner Tool

Wiki Articles
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 CRF450 Shootout by dc182

• Hot  39 replies
Forums
Photo

My New Project '08 Build by mrmoto35

• Hot  41 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.