Design Flaw In Airfilter Frame

2 replies to this topic
  • xorron5

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:20 AM

Hi, i have been oiling my airfilter with the best airfilter oil a man can buy, i have been using large amounts of grease around the air-filter and air channel mounting parts,
but there is an layer of fine dust after driving in side the air channel...
and that means that who knows how much of dust has all ready got thru to the engine...
i took the air filter frame and put it on place with my hand without the airfilter
to inspect how good does it mount...and dam it !, it doesent mount around the edges 100% it leaves an wobly 1.5mm emty space ...meaning no matter how tight u turn the butterfly screw it doesn't squeese the edges of the foam tight
inuf to be dust proof...especially when using an acerbis airfilter whats edges are not so thick that it woud increase the tightnes of the mounting...
to day i used my stock airfilter and even with an super careful oiling and greasing i still found dust in the air channel...
Now to get the airfilter frame to mount better u should drill an 2,5mm deeper
the mounting hole of the (white color frame) to get the bullet shaped
(black color) opposite part to go deeper and this way to get the edges push
the foam tighter against the sides..and because the black colored side has
side wings from the "arms" they should also be cut an 2,5 mils from the outer
edge other vise they will prevent the parts to sink in to each other after
the drilling that extra new 2,5mm.....this is one way i looked that it cud work
better...but how can this design be that bad as stock !! EVERY DRIVE MORE DUST TO MY NEW 2009 YZ450F !!:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:40 AM

I don't use grease, and I don't get dust.

The 1.5mm (1/16") gap between the cage and mounting flange is by design, so as not to cut the filter along the edge of the frame. The sealing lip of the filter is 4 times that thick, and is clamped against the flange quite well.

The filter lip needs to be oiled, just like the rest of the filter; thoroughly, all the way through the foam, not just sprayed on top. If that isn't done, dirt will flow in through the lip, and up into the air box. The WHOLE element has to be oiled ALL THE WAY THROUGH in order to work. Then clean it every ride.

Also, you need to face the fact that no air filter will stop everything. However, you should be able to get it down to a barely visible haze on the air boot, at most.

• xorron5

Posted November 30, 2008 - 05:43 AM

Spot on answer again...thank u Gray :bonk: :bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.