Rotella oil?

30 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:00 PM

The Amsoil study was comprehensive and very well done. I do wish they would do another one that included some of the popular automotive/commercial oils. Rotella, and several others, are excellent engine oils, but fail in the area of shear stability, sometimes very rapidly. They work acceptably only if changed very frequently.

So Gray what Amsoil do you use and at what hour interval do you change it out at?

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2009 - 07:49 PM

Amsoil MCF (MCV July through Sept). I change oil and filter every two to 3 ride days, which equates to between 5 and 8 hours, usually.

It depends not just on how long the oil has been used, but also on how long it will be run if I wait until the end of the next ride to change it.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted March 23, 2009 - 03:17 AM

when i was iceracing this winter on my 06 450 i changed my oil every 2-3 hours of ride time on the hourmeter. and my oil still came out looking gold..

im going to be changing it ever 4-5 hours of ride time for when i ride it in the dirt. is going that going to be ok or should i change it sooner..

BTW i use rotella

and on a another side note.. my buddys all use rotella in there honda 450s and there engine builders all said that there motor is clean as hell inside with no wear marks what so ever. and thats a honda with over 100 hours on it..

so it really cant be that bad now can it as long as you change it often.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted March 23, 2009 - 04:34 AM

Different strokes for different folks!

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:40 AM

when i was iceracing this winter on my 06 450 i changed my oil every 2-3 hours of ride time on the hourmeter. and my oil still came out looking gold..

There is no visual indication that the oil has lost its viscosity at operating temperature. Only a lab test can confirm that. A 15w-40 that has degraded to a 15W-30 will look just the same as it used to when drained cold.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ace402

Posted March 23, 2009 - 08:25 AM

While I don't doubt that Rotella will work......diesel oil in a motorcycle? Really?

Motorcycle oil in the 450...leave the Rotella for the Duramax.

Like I said, I don't doubt that it can't be done but if it was really that good why wouldn't the manufacturers offer an equivalent and make that the spec for the bike? :usa:

Using Rotella in your 450 is like the guy in the 2T forum that uses STIHL chainsaw oil in his YZ250.

As far as price goes, changing my oil often with high quality oil is the price you pay to play. If you don't want to pay the premium, either ride less (not an option) or roll the dice with the cheap oil.

To each his own :thumbsup: Now go ride your bike!! :lol:

• DAVID146

Posted March 23, 2009 - 04:16 PM

I'll put it this way I tried Rotella and Yamalube. I must be hard on the clutch because when I use them I blow through one quick. So I switch to Belrae thumper. Change the oil Fiday night rode mx Sat and Sun. Change today black as coal. The rotella would have smelled like S$$t comming out. So I would say it depends how hard you ride as to which oil and how often you should change it.

• mxdude1986

Posted March 23, 2009 - 05:27 PM

I use Royal Purple Full Synthetic here 20w-50

• spc mike

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:27 PM

I use Royal Purple Full Synthetic here 20w-50

ummmm.....thats not good.:thumbsup:

• jbach

Posted March 25, 2009 - 09:42 AM

rotella 5w-40 synthetic. i think it's a great oil and i run it in everything i own from bikes to jeep to lawn mowers.

• NortonMoto

Posted March 25, 2009 - 07:32 PM

This could start a new thread,But I would not use royal purple.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.