98 vs 99 yz400 differences

3 replies to this topic
  • motojoe_23

Posted November 28, 2008 - 03:37 PM

So, Thinking the bikes were pretty much the same, what OTHER differences can anyone list.

I think I have found the carb is different.

I also just found out the rear sprockets are different (ordered the wrong one)

Anything else I should know about for future reference.

I THOUGHT the bike I just bought was a 99, but stupid me didnt check the vin on it (bought it from a family friend so I know it is not hot or anything) only to find out it is a 98 :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2008 - 07:00 PM

Complete rear wheel and axle are different.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motojoe_23

Posted November 28, 2008 - 07:47 PM

Complete rear wheel and axle are different.

yeah, figured the rear wheel as well, I guess I should have said that, as the sprocket mounts different.

But the axle size is different too? So the wheels are not interchangeable unless you get the bearings or does it take spacers as well?

Im sure THAT info is posted somewhere if I look though. I should not assume stuff I guess :lol

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2008 - 08:42 PM

But the axle size is different too? So the wheels are not interchangeable unless you get the bearings or does it take spacers as well?

Im sure THAT info is posted somewhere if I look though. I should not assume stuff I guess :lol

Common Threads

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=632582

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.