rear sprocket allen bolts

6 replies to this topic
  • ccie2be

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:06 AM

I have a 2006 yzf 450 with a slight problem. When trying to remove the allen bolts that hold on the rear sprocket, the allen head socket I use is just spinning through. I have ruined 3 bolts now. Has anyone else experienced this? I guess I will have to drill them out.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:10 AM

Hold the bolt and turn the nut. That's the correct method anyway, whether loosening or tightening. Occasionally you can find a Torx bit that will bite when driven into the Allen socket, or try the same thing with the next largest English size. Still, turn the nut, hold the bolt.

• ccie2be

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:21 AM

I never even paid attention the the bolts on the rear.
Thanks,

David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • justarider

Posted November 28, 2008 - 06:22 PM

Ditto, put the pressure on the box end wrench on the nuts on the inside flange of the hub, not the allen head screw on the outside of the sprocket.

• gtxkid

Posted November 29, 2008 - 08:18 AM

Whatever you do make sure you put blue locktight on the threads before you put it back together.
Common problem is they come loose.
I do not know of too many guys that touque them, i think most pull them up tight with locktight.
and tighen them up in a cris cross patern.
Clean all the dirt ou behind sprocket where it mates up.
Just my 2 cents :bonk:

• endurodog

Posted November 29, 2008 - 11:22 AM

I am a huge believer in torqing the sprocket bolts. I have destroyed 2 rear hubs because of sprocket bolts. It is my belief (this has been debated on the site also and I hate to get into it again), and others also, that if you over tighten the bolts they become fatigued and no amount of locktite will stop them from coming loose. All you have to do is fatigue the thread area of the bolt not the whole bolt and you have problems. Since following torq settings, and replacing a bolt if it does become loose, once loose it's subject to extra forces from the drive train, I and my group have had zero problems with sprocket bolts. I also Locktite before torqing.

• Deathdeelr

Posted November 30, 2008 - 12:04 AM

This doesn't apply to the sprocket bolts since they have nuts on the back but I'm going to throw it out anyway.

I find a good trick to get a stuck bolt out is to give the head a good whack with a flat ended drift and a hammer before you put the allen key to it. ONE single shock usually breaks the threads of the death grip that can round off allen heads and 9 times out of 10 they loosen up and come out. I find this works extremely well with steel bolts in aluminum.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.