Headlight Not Working, Suspect Generator/Magneto

3 replies to this topic
  • chambers

Posted November 28, 2008 - 04:14 AM

I have just put the bike back together and it starts and rides okay but I can't seem to get the headlight to work, I have checked all of the wiring and also the bulb both of which are fine. I have hooked the trail tech direct to the yellow (generator) but do life seems to go to that, I am kinda suspecting the generator but was wondering is there any way to check it and would the bike even start if it was broken?
, also is there any other reasons you could maybe think of

• willy_fitz

Posted November 28, 2008 - 05:15 AM

The headlight runs off the lighting coil whereas the ignition runs off the ignition coil. The taillight also runs off the DC system which is why the taillight comes on when you switch on but the headlight does not come on until the bike is running (07 & 08 models).
With the bike running check for about 12vac at the headlight plug and then work your way back till you find the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chambers

Posted November 28, 2008 - 06:06 AM

sorry forgot to mention its a 2002 Wr400 (no battery) I will get it checked for live at different points but what do you recommend using, I have a multimeter but no idea how to use it lol

• willy_fitz

Posted November 28, 2008 - 09:12 AM

The best solution is if you have an electrcian as a buddy and you supply the beer and let him solve the problem.
Barring that use the multimeter making sure the meter is selected for AC volts and the leads are connected for measuring volts

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.