05 WR kick start noise

1 reply to this topic
  • BJDAMELX

Posted November 27, 2008 - 08:59 AM

Has any one encountered any noise issues with the kick starter? I recently used the kickstart to fire up the bike and when it started to catch the kickstart shot back up almost sending me off the bike. Now i have a noise coming from the kickstart shaft. Sounds like a lite grinding and when i put pressure inward on the shaft it seems to quite down a little. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted November 27, 2008 - 07:18 PM

You probably smashed the kick shaft stop when it back fired... very cheap part and not too hard to fix. It's allowing the kick shaft to rotate and rest too far forward now. Do this - with the bike running and the kick starter rattling, rotate the kick starter back (toward the back wheel) just a fraction of an inch. Does the noise go away? If so, then you have probably smashed this little stainless steel stop for the kick shaft, it happened to me on my 400, same deal - it kicked back hard and then began making the noise.

I assume that this parts also lives on in the 450's, it's a 2 or 3 dollar part and about an hour or two job to replace it.

PM me if you have any questions. This is not real common but I know of a few other guys in this forum that have had the same thing happen.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.