Hand guard installation

6 replies to this topic
  • beengoneawhile

Posted July 03, 2002 - 05:10 AM

Ok, I'm trying to install a pair of Fredette hand guards on a YZ (figured there would be more experience over here) and I've got a question. On the throttle side there is a ton of space between the end of the throttle tube and where the handle bar starts. How have people kept the end of the hand guard centered so that it doesn't interfere with the throttle?

What I'm thinking is get a longer bolt (that extents into the handlebar further), create a spacer that's the depth of the throttle tube extention, then put the rubber hose and the nut at the end.

Any other suggestions?

Posted July 03, 2002 - 05:46 AM

Cut the end of the throttle tube off as close to the end of the tube as you can. Then move the throttle tube away from the end of the bar(IN) about a 1/4 inch. Then insert the Handguard mount into the end into the handlebars. If you dont do this, the first hard crash you get into on the right side the handguard will pinch the throttle tube so that you cannot rotate it.....It always happens about 20 miles away from the truck and you don't have a tool to loosen it up.

Bonzai :)

• beengoneawhile

Posted July 03, 2002 - 05:58 AM

Thanks for the response. I did cut the end of the throttle tube off, but the distance from the end of the tube to the actual handle bar is about 1.5 inches. Are you suggesting that I move the throttle assembly further onto the handle bar so that this distance is reduced to about a 1/4 inch?

If so, I thought about this but is seems to me that I'd then have an asymetric riding position (my right bar would be shorter than the left)unless I chopped a 1.25 inches off the other side.

I have to admit that I've only recently started riding again, but when did handle bars begin having different lengths on the throttle side verses the clutch side?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted July 03, 2002 - 06:13 AM

Why is your throttle tube 1.5 inches toward the center of the bars? I't should be no further in than 1/4 inch from the end of the bar, with the handguard resting on the end of the bars.

Bonzai :)

I need to post a pic of the throttle side, but they look the same except for the 1/4 inch space between the handguard and the throttle tube.

Posted Image

• beengoneawhile

Posted July 03, 2002 - 06:24 AM

Damn, I wish I wasn't at work. I'd take a picture of the throttle side and post.

When I cut off the end of the throttle tube I could see that the end of the handbar began about 1.5 inches in from the end of the throttle tube, almost like the throttle assemble was not pushed on the bar far enough. Oddly enough, there is a little spacer (plastic I think) between the throttle assemble and the front brake perch to position the throttle in this kind'a over hanging position. I haven't pulled everything apart and measured yet, but it sure looks like the right hand side of the bar is shorter than the left. Maybe I'm just crazy (most who know me would agree) and all I need to do is move everything mounted on the right bar in about an inch. I'll have to get out the tape measure when I get home and check all this stuff out.

By the way, we're talk'n about an 02 YZ426

• PumpkinHumper

Posted July 03, 2002 - 07:53 AM

Did you by that bike used. I was wonderin if someone cut the bar down and then moved the throttle assy out for some reason to compinsate for it. Measure your bar length and compare it to stock. Something isn't right.

A lot of offroaders cut the bars down to like 29-30" to fit between the trees. Maybe your bars are cut funny. Or maybe your controls are just mounted WRONG!!

But either way. Your bar should stick out of the end of the throttle tube about 1/8-1/4" like said. Figure it out.

• wrsm

Posted July 03, 2002 - 11:37 AM

The "little spacer" between throttle body & brake perch is stock.

Asymetrical handlebars are definately not stock!!

Either the previous owner chopped the end of the bar down (maybe after it was damaged) or the throttle & brake assemblies are just too far to the right.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.