Weapon YZ

46 replies to this topic
  • siscokid7

Posted December 01, 2008 - 11:40 AM

A top clamp by itself won't change anything about the handling. It can't, because it doesn't change any of the geometry. So unless the clamp lets you use fat bars on an older bike, or offers you a handlebar position that the stock clamp doesn't (and that you actually use), they're just bling.

I disagree with you about the Tag T2 clamp, which is the one you had, being lower quality than the stock unit. The T2 is a simpler bit of work than the Tag Matrix, or other top tier clamps are, but still a very good, functional piece equipment. I had on on my '03, and it was fine.

Yeah that explains why it didnt help. But you know when you get something new your brain is tricked into noticing a difference even if there is none. And by the stock piece being better quality, not in the way that it is great, but the tag was nothing special. I sold it for almost what I paid for it so its a ded issue. I would rather spend on a complete set that will help the handling, and add some bling!:bonk:

Edit; Also at the time I didnt know anything about offsets so the shop coulda sold me anything and said it was better. I wouldnt have known the difference. I am still learning about this stuff. I used to just get a bike and ride the crap outta it. Now I wanna know about proper set up.

• Slinkyman16

Posted December 01, 2008 - 07:03 PM

Forget about the wheels. I forgot to mention I tried a tag top triple clamp for a couple of rides about a month ago. At first I thought it was improved, but there really wasnt a difference. I dont remember if they were stock offset or not. I remember they were only about 80 bucks and the stock ones seemed like better quality. The kid I sold it to sold his bike so I have no way of finding out. Anyway, my question was should I just not even worry about the triples for now?

its hard to say.. offset clamps are expensive. im only running a set cause i got a smoken deal on them. only u can decide on weather or not they are a worthwile expense.

check ebay for a good set..

also the like grey said the top clamp does nothing to the offset. the bottom clamp is what changes the offset angle..

• siscokid7

Posted December 01, 2008 - 07:09 PM

its hard to say.. offset clamps are expensive. im only running a set cause i got a smoken deal on them. only u can decide on weather or not they are a worthwile expense.

check ebay for a good set..

also the like grey said the top clamp does nothing to the offset. the bottom clamp is what changes the offset angle..

Thanks for the input. I am researching some clamps right now to try and get a good deal as well. I also was looking through some old post and I saw Gray told me about the windham pro taper bars when I first joined TT. It was still warm at the time and I was more concentrated on actually riding than wrenching. So now I think I am gonna get these bars and see how they feel. If I dont like em, I can always sell em!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted December 01, 2008 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the input. I am researching some clamps right now to try and get a good deal as well. I also was looking through some old post and I saw Gray told me about the windham pro taper bars when I first joined TT. It was still warm at the time and I was more concentrated on actually riding than wrenching. So now I think I am gonna get these bars and see how they feel. If I dont like em, I can always sell em!

Try the windham renthal twin-walls first, they are like magic for the yzfs!:bonk:

• siscokid7

Posted December 01, 2008 - 07:17 PM

Try the windham renthal twin-walls first, they are like magic for the yzfs!:bonk:

Wait there is a Windham bend from both companies? Does the renthal have the crossbar though?

• Justin89

Posted December 01, 2008 - 07:38 PM

Wait there is a Windham bend from both companies? Does the renthal have the crossbar though?

Yep I have the renthal twinwals on my 2006 w/ crossbar. Check the pics in my garage for a few pics:ride:

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2008 - 09:29 PM

the top clamp does nothing to the offset. the bottom clamp is what changes the offset angle..

The top clamp has to match the bottom clamp, thus, when using a top clamp only, it must be the stock offset. Changing the offset requires a matched set, top & bottom. Offset is not an angle, it's a distance, specifically the distance between a line drawn between the centers of the fork tubes and the steering head axis. That. in combination with the forward offset of the axle, controls trail, which is the distance that the contact point of the front tire follows behind the steering axis.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.