Weapon YZ

46 replies to this topic
  • DMC707

Posted November 27, 2008 - 07:34 AM

They redid the track. It looks sweet!! I am scared to race though. Not scared but a little gun shy. Any tips? My only fear is that I will get embarrassed by some 15 yo on a 125. I am super competitive and hate losing.

The 15yo kid on a 125 may have been racing for 10 years. The "super competitive, hate to lose" mentality has to be put on a shelf for a while when your starting out or you can wind up taking more than a few trips over the bars (especially when you're old -- and anything over 22 is old to be starting out in this sport, the vet classes start at 30)

If you just ride around with buddies, nothing will ever replicate the feel of lining up to do battle at the track. Just do it and don't worry about it when you lose. At your age, you might avoid the beginner class and just go with the "over 25" C class" or something like that if your track has one. It may be safer.

All those issues with your bike (front end pushing, etc) can be cleaned up with suspension setup and technique refinement. If your sag is at 125mm, its gonna push, if its at 85mm, it will kick. The springs may be slightly light for 210 #'s, but not so bad that they are not workable at the C level.
You don't really need half the stuff you listed unless your making a "show bike". And believe me, there's nothing wrong with a pretty bike, but Yamaha actually put a little time into making the bike a great bike --- aftermarket manufacturers thrive on the placebo effect of some of their parts they market. (if it looks fast, you'll feel fast)

• DMC707

Posted November 27, 2008 - 07:42 AM

. Not to sound arrogant or anything. But sports are 90%mental. What class do you race in? And what offset are you running?

get back to me on that one after your first race :bonk: :bonk:

its not mental on the 4th lap of a 10 lap race when the guy in front of you is slipping away, your forearms already feel like wood and your out of breath and legs feel like jelly (even if you're in "stairmaster shape" from the gym), plus one side of your goggles is blocked with mud because you ripped off the whole stack of tear offs after the first turn accidentally, and roost is hitting you on every single spot noit covered by the flak jak

i don't think its 90% mental, but its 100% fun --- jump in, the water's fine

(vet intermediate, stock offset - no plans to change)

• siscokid7

Posted November 27, 2008 - 08:00 AM

get back to me on that one after your first race :bonk: :bonk:

its not mental on the 4th lap of a 10 lap race when the guy in front of you is slipping away, your forearms already feel like wood and your out of breath and legs feel like jelly (even if you're in "stairmaster shape" from the gym), plus one side of your goggles is blocked with mud because you ripped off the whole stack of tear offs after the first turn accidentally, and roost is hitting you on every single spot noit covered by the flak jak

i don't think its 90% mental, but its 100% fun --- jump in, the water's fine

(vet intermediate, stock offset - no plans to change)

You misunderstood me! I have been riding dirtbikes, quads and streetbikes since I was a little kid. I just have never raced against people I dont know. That is my fear, to show up at the track all pumped up and get smoked! I'm not saying its gonna happen but it could. When I ride trails with strangers it is cool cuzi t is not so competitive and hard to pass. But on the track you lock up. I have just started riding on mx style tracks. I am working on being looser because I think that has alot to do with my arm pump. I am not saying woods riding is easier, but I dont grip the bars as tightly when blasting trails as I do when jumping and rythym sections. I am going to continue to practice my butt off because I am not one of those guys who talks smack and cant back it up!! I know my attitude sounds a little childish, but I make no excuses for it. I liketo be the best at whatever I do. I also like to have the best. I know some mods are for bling factor but the majority of them have a purpose. The levers, sprocket, exhaust, kickstand, tires and brakes have all made me feel more comfortable on the bike. You also have to keep in mind that what I said about sports being 90% mental meaning that if you dont have that racers mentality, kinda like killer instinct, it doesnt matter how fast your bike is. Its all about the rider.

• DMC707

Posted November 27, 2008 - 09:13 PM

You misunderstood me! I have been riding dirtbikes, quads and streetbikes since I was a little kid. I just have never raced against people I dont know. --------------------------------------------------The levers, sprocket, exhaust, kickstand, tires and brakes have all made me feel more comfortable on the bike. -------------Its all about the rider.

You've probably already found out that all that quad and streetbike time means diddly on the MX track.

Don't sweat it dude -- just set small goals and execute. For instance, in years that i can race more than 20 times a year, i try to qualify for Ponca in my class --- things like that. Once you set attainable goals, things start falling right into line and it gives your training and practice time a purpose.

I like your enthusiasm, but you gotta know all those sweet parts we all throw at our bikes are 90% for show (with the exception of regional specific tires, your fave h'bars, and in the case of the '08 and '09 Z's, the muffler)

trust me, i have a Lightspeed chain guide that lasted 3 rides before looking like tattered dog meat (and i will replace it with another carbon one most likely -:bonk: ) I love to bolt on cool parts too, i'm not trying to come off as being uptight, but i have been riding and racing MX since 1980 (i'm 37) --- and these new YZ's are absolutely the best thing i have ever ridden stock. I have seat time and have owned some of the best handling bikes available (any Suzuki seems to fall into that category)
Believe me, the small amount of push you experience with a YZ is preferable to the headshake and other things you get from a "Pro chassis"

If racing is your goal, keep up the quality practice and watch the junk mileage you put on the bike. Keep the board posted if you make it to Ponca or Loretta's and i'll look ya up :bonk:

• siscokid7

Posted November 27, 2008 - 09:24 PM

You've probably already found out that all that quad and streetbike time means diddly on the MX track.

Don't sweat it dude -- just set small goals and execute. For instance, in years that i can race more than 20 times a year, i try to qualify for Ponca in my class --- things like that. Once you set attainable goals, things start falling right into line and it gives your training and practice time a purpose.

I like your enthusiasm, but you gotta know all those sweet parts we all throw at our bikes are 90% for show (with the exception of regional specific tires, your fave h'bars, and in the case of the '08 and '09 Z's, the muffler)

trust me, i have a Lightspeed chain guide that lasted 3 rides before looking like tattered dog meat (and i will replace it with another carbon one most likely -:bonk: ) I love to bolt on cool parts too, i'm not trying to come off as being uptight, but i have been riding and racing MX since 1980 (i'm 37) --- and these new YZ's are absolutely the best thing i have ever ridden stock. I have seat time and have owned some of the best handling bikes available (any Suzuki seems to fall into that category)
Believe me, the small amount of push you experience with a YZ is preferable to the headshake and other things you get from a "Pro chassis"

If racing is your goal, keep up the quality practice and watch the junk mileage you put on the bike. Keep the board posted if you make it to Ponca or Loretta's and i'll look ya up :bonk:

Thanks, and I do appreciate the advice. Im not trying to sound arrogant and I am definitely not a know it all. You understand that I just have a strong will to win thats all. I am not a good loser. Does lorettas have open practices? Also if I went out with the C class someone told me they roll alot of jumps and that could be dangerous cause Im not confident enough to change lines in mid air. Or should I just go out with the beginners and pace myself?

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 27, 2008 - 09:47 PM

Thanks, and I do appreciate the advice. Im not trying to sound arrogant and I am definitely not a know it all. You understand that I just have a strong will to win thats all. I am not a good loser. Does lorettas have open practices? Also if I went out with the C class someone told me they roll alot of jumps and that could be dangerous cause Im not confident enough to change lines in mid air. Or should I just go out with the beginners and pace myself?

if you dont want to race with some people that roll the jumps. bump up a class..

which i have no idea ur class structure out their but here its. d-c-b-a.. a being pro level.. d being beginner. so if u think ur good to go with the higher class go for it.. u can always jump down..

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2008 - 10:26 PM

I am not a good loser.

You need to fix that before you start racing.

• siscokid7

Posted November 27, 2008 - 10:31 PM

You need to fix that before you start racing.

I am not a sore loser. I will congratulate everyone who bested me in competition. But back in my trailer I will cut a line in my forearm for each rider that passed me. Just kidding. But who does like to lose? I cant be the only guy that take losing personal. I am a good sport, I only have myself to blame afterall.

• DBMX 925

Posted November 28, 2008 - 01:46 AM

No D class here in Dist. 34 or MSC. In +25C there aren't many rolling jumps. Hell, I do them and I'm 50. If your faster, you will make your way to the front. Practice starts, if you get a good start and stay on the gas you'll trophy in C.

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2008 - 06:59 AM

I am not a sore loser. I will congratulate everyone who bested me in competition.

I'm not concerned with your manners, but with what level of risk you may be willing to take with your own safety and that of others in order to win. It's all for sport, in most cases, and people's ability to put food on their tables depends not on winning, but on going home.

I have no problem with being passed (it's a good thing, too :bonk: ) but if you take me out while trying something stupid, what's left of me is going to be pissed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • siscokid7

Posted November 28, 2008 - 08:30 AM

I'm not concerned with your manners, but with what level of risk you may be willing to take with your own safety and that of others in order to win. It's all for sport, in most cases, and people's ability to put food on their tables depends not on winning, but on going home.

I have no problem with being passed (it's a good thing, too :bonk: ) but if you take me out while trying something stupid, what's left of me is going to be pissed.

I gotcha gray. I guess I am getting older and having a hard time realizing I am not the best at everything anymore. I guess having fun and being safe should be the most important thing.:bonk: And you are right, because if I got hurt my old lady would kill me!! Man this thread took a left turn!! Back to my original post. Aside from the bling, does my list of mods look good?

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 28, 2008 - 09:09 AM

i would ditch the warp 9 rims..

other then that it looks good..

now my ? to u is.. waved rotors.. bike comes stock with a pretty good waved rotors.. are u just replacing front with a oversized unit?

• siscokid7

Posted November 28, 2008 - 10:27 AM

now my ? to u is.. waved rotors.. bike comes stock with a pretty good waved rotors.. are u just replacing front with a oversized unit?

No the warp 9's come with new wave rotors. Just a different design but same size as stock. I am hoping the new pads and stainless lines will improve the brakes enough that I wont have to get a 270mm or larger rotor kit. What dont you like about the warp 9's? I cant tell anyone how much I am getting them for but I have a sweet agreement with the owner. Maybe they will be a site sponsor soon. I have gotten mixed reviews about the rims so far, but the company is young and very open to input from their customers. They are now using the same series aluminum as excel and some pretty nice hubs and stainless spokes and nipples. The new hubs will be available in January for the public. :bonk:

• DMC707

Posted November 28, 2008 - 10:32 AM

back on point --- i agree with Slinky on the Warp 9's --- i would probably shop around for a Talon/Excel combo. I assume you are getting the rotors so you can have 2 complete setts of wheels ready to go.

Warp 9 i think is a domestic company though--- they just don't quite have the Excel/Talon track record yet.

They might lace up some Excel rims to their hubs though, which would be a bit more economical than the Talon hubs

• grayracer513

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:07 AM

What dont you like about the warp 9's?

The quality tends to occupy the same end of the scale as the price does.

Stay with OEM or Talon hubs, Excels, and Excel or OEM spokes.

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:16 AM

No the warp 9's come with new wave rotors. Just a different design but same size as stock. I am hoping the new pads and stainless lines will improve the brakes enough that I wont have to get a 270mm or larger rotor kit. What dont you like about the warp 9's? I cant tell anyone how much I am getting them for but I have a sweet agreement with the owner. Maybe they will be a site sponsor soon. I have gotten mixed reviews about the rims so far, but the company is young and very open to input from their customers. They are now using the same series aluminum as excel and some pretty nice hubs and stainless spokes and nipples. The new hubs will be available in January for the public. :bonk:

My viewpoint is from experiance with them.. 3 buddies all have warp 9 rims. all have had serious problems.. first 1.. rim was destryoed over 20ft table top.(brand new rims).

second owner. rims dont stay true worth a damn.. and he uses a tq spoke wrench.

3rd owner.. broken hub..

they would possibly be good for a set of paddle tires but other then that i would stay away from them.

but this is just my experiance with them.. i wouldnt waste my money on a set.. i would rather find some stock hubs and lace a set of excel A60s to um.

• siscokid7

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:29 AM

My viewpoint is from experiance with them.. 3 buddies all have warp 9 rims. all have had serious problems.. first 1.. rim was destryoed over 20ft table top.(brand new rims).

second owner. rims dont stay true worth a damn.. and he uses a tq spoke wrench.

3rd owner.. broken hub..

they would possibly be good for a set of paddle tires but other then that i would stay away from them.

but this is just my experiance with them.. i wouldnt waste my money on a set.. i would rather find some stock hubs and lace a set of excel A60s to um.

Wow thanks for the heads up! Did these guys attempt to get their money back? I am already kinda locked into a deal so I woudnt back out. Im not that type of person. Do you also know if these were from the companys original rim or the new one? I hope nothing goes wrong with these because they will lose alot of business, and any future business as well.

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 28, 2008 - 11:49 AM

dunno.. personaly i never thought to ask..

• siscokid7

Posted December 01, 2008 - 01:20 AM

dunno.. personaly i never thought to ask..

Forget about the wheels. I forgot to mention I tried a tag top triple clamp for a couple of rides about a month ago. At first I thought it was improved, but there really wasnt a difference. I dont remember if they were stock offset or not. I remember they were only about 80 bucks and the stock ones seemed like better quality. The kid I sold it to sold his bike so I have no way of finding out. Anyway, my question was should I just not even worry about the triples for now?

• grayracer513

Posted December 01, 2008 - 05:50 AM

A top clamp by itself won't change anything about the handling. It can't, because it doesn't change any of the geometry. So unless the clamp lets you use fat bars on an older bike, or offers you a handlebar position that the stock clamp doesn't (and that you actually use), they're just bling.

I disagree with you about the Tag T2 clamp, which is the one you had, being lower quality than the stock unit. The T2 is a simpler bit of work than the Tag Matrix, or other top tier clamps are, but still a very good, functional piece equipment. I had on on my '03, and it was fine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.