Weapon YZ

46 replies to this topic
  • siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 12:56 PM

All right I have some cash coming in and now I need help. My current mods on my 08 are as follows;

sunline levers
fmf factory 4.1 with megabomb
jetted 165 main, pilot and needle still stock
gytr 50 tooth rear
ready stainless steel oil filter
did x-ring chain
msr fuel srew
moose kick stand

This is a list of what is coming in;

warp 9 complete wheelsets
51 tooth rear sprocket
custom graphics
twin air filter
sunline case saver
hammerhead shifter and rear brake lever
assorted "bling" engine plug kits
wave rotors front and rear
new carbon ceramic brake pads
stainless brake lines

I am also taking various parts to my powdercoater.

Here is where I need help. I know I need triple clamps but I dont know what kind and offset. I have gotten various answers about what is the best. I am very confused. I dont want to spend more than 300 bucks if I can help it. I also heard the windham bend bars are good too. Anybody using these? Tires. The dunlops are great, but they dont hold up where I ride for the price. The 742 front sucks for my soil condition. What is a good hardpack to intermediate tire that is not too expensive? I was looking at the kenda and maxxis tires. Anyone use these yet? Suspension. I see alot of places you send them your forks and shock and they revalve them according to your weight and riding style. I am not a pro so do you think I would notice? I actually like the stock suspension but then again I havent hit any big jumps yet. I am 210 lbs. and 6 feet tall. I hope I dont sound like a noob but every bike I ever rode I just went out and rode it. This is the first bike that is wearing me down. I get arm pump, I am struggling on the turns, and I dont feel that confident on the bike. But I love the way I fit on the bike. It is very narrow and flickable, except for flat turns I mean. I love the poer delivery. I dont ever feel like the bike is going to hurt me. I am going to keep it even when the new one comes out so I am not worried about dumping alot of cash into the beast. I like the bike I just want a little more. Opinions and help?

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:02 PM

waved rotors? im guess you want to get a oversized rotor for the front? since the bike comes stock with waved rotors to begin with??

revalve is most likely will be the best thing you do to your bike.. it will help you tons. right now your undersprung for your weight.

what kind of soil are u riding in? maxxis last a while but dont grip worth of crap.. cant offer much help on the kenda as i have never ran them..

offset clamps.. what dont u like about the current offset and the way it turns(this is to help navigate you to clamps)

• Huckster

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:04 PM

Send the suspension to Factory connection. If you want a clamp, buy a RG3 top clamp with the tall risers. They are rubber mounted and will help with arm pump. Use the money you saved by not buying the complete set up and spend it on a set of Dunlop RR. They are great for D34 tracks, but they do wear pretty quickly. If you still have $ left over, buy a Flexx Bar. You will thank me later.....especially if you come up short often and suffer from arm pump. Lastly, go ride the bike........

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:05 PM

If he's under sprung, re-valving will accomplish nothing without springs, whereas re-springing for his weight will do so much that he may not need any more suspension work.

Hard to intermediate, I would use a D745, a D952, or a Bridgestone 601

• siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:07 PM

I remember in my other thread we were just discussing this slinkyman, the "push" in flat tight turns. The tighter the turn the harder it is. Also I dont like my body position when riding in attack postion. I feel like I am to far bent over forward. To much weight on the bars. Suggestions?

• siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:09 PM

If he's under sprung, re-valving will accomplish nothing without springs, whereas re-springing for his weight will do so much that he may not need any more suspension work.

A new Ti rear shock spring is like 400 bucks! Is it worth it? And would I need to get heavier fork springs as well?

• Huckster

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:13 PM

I am basically the same size. FC revalved and changed the springs on both end. Rides like a cadillac. No need for a Ti spring. Worth every penny.

D952 is what I have on my bike right now. Very nice tire for D34 conditions.

• siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:22 PM

I am basically the same size. FC revalved and changed the springs on both end. Rides like a cadillac. No need for a Ti spring. Worth every penny.

D952 is what I have on my bike right now. Very nice tire for D34 conditions.

Did you race at the D34 championship at walden playboy?

• Wiz636

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:36 PM

I remember in my other thread we were just discussing this slinkyman, the "push" in flat tight turns. The tighter the turn the harder it is. Also I dont like my body position when riding in attack postion. I feel like I am to far bent over forward. To much weight on the bars. Suggestions?

With the '08 I doubt that your front end push is due to (or could be solved by) the triple clamps. If you were riding an '06 I would say yes, but not an '08. The '08 corners like a dream when set up correctly.

It is most likely due to one or a combination of the following, front tire, fork clicker settings, rear sag setting, or body position. The most likely culprit is incorrect sag in the rear, especially if you your spring is too soft for your weight.

Also, it is important to find the right balance of rebound/compression on your forks. Too much rebound damping and the forks will not 'push' the tire into the ground while cornering, too little rebound damping and the front end will stand up on you and push. Ideally you want the front end to settle into the corner and then have the forks slightly push the front tire down without pushing the front end back up too soon...make sense? I would suggest that you try going in a couple clicks on your fork rebound.

• siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:44 PM

With the '08 I doubt that your front end push is due to (or could be solved by) the triple clamps. If you were riding an '06 I would say yes, but not an '08. The '08 corners like a dream when set up correctly.

It is most likely due to one or a combination of the following, front tire, fork clicker settings, rear sag setting, or body position. The most likely culprit is incorrect sag in the rear, especially if you your spring is too soft for your weight.

Also, it is important to find the right balance of rebound/compression on your forks. Too much rebound damping and the forks will not 'push' the tire into the ground while cornering, too little rebound damping and the front end will stand up on you and push. Ideally you want the front end to settle into the corner and then have the forks slightly push the front tire down without pushing the front end back up too soon...make sense? I would suggest that you try going in a couple clicks on your fork rebound.

You are talking chinese right now!! Joking! Seriously though, I should scrap getting new triples then? I am clueless on suspension setup. I was reading some advice Gray posted and the steam was coming out of my ears. I have a service manual so I can figure out how to set up the suspension, but I am a little intimidated. Also I read the thread on how to set the sag, but maybe I do need a heavier shock spring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Huckster

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:46 PM

Did you race at the D34 championship at walden playboy?

I did not. I did not do any of the qualifiers so you couldn't race that event unless you did. I hope they resolve the D34/MSC split someday. Its a shame that walden is no longer on the MSC schedule.

• siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:50 PM

I did not. I did not do any of the qualifiers so you couldn't race that event unless you did. I hope they resolve the D34/MSC split someday. Its a shame that walden is no longer on the MSC schedule.

They redid the track. It looks sweet!! I am scared to race though. Not scared but a little gun shy. Any tips? My only fear is that I will get embarrassed by some 15 yo on a 125. I am super competitive and hate losing.

• Huckster

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:05 PM

Race +25 C. There won't be any 15yr olds in that class. The main thing is to have fun. Dont worry about whether you win or not, but try to catch the guy in front of you. Ace and claverack are great tracks for first timers. Remember to line up on the inside if you can. Most 1st turn pile ups push(drift) to the outside and when in doubt, gas it......

Walden is really nice track. I wish they would reunite with MSC, but they want to keep AMA so they can hold NE Classic and LL qualifiers so that probably wont happen.

• siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:11 PM

Hopefully this spring I will try it out. I am still riding in private with close friends so I dont care who wins or not. But in an organized race I dont know how to not be competitive. I just want to make sure my bike is setup well and I am ready to win. Not to sound arrogant or anything. But sports are 90%mental. What class do you race in? And what offset are you running?

• Huckster

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:19 PM

I race Vet B. I have the stock offset with an RG3 top clamp. I run the Flexx bars and had FC do my suspension and I love my bike. I realize it will never turn like the RMZ that I had, but it makes up for it in every other way.

I am competitive as well. I have pulled holeshots and won and I have got bad starts and come through the pack. A lot of the time, doing that feels better. If you ride up to your capabilities, you should be happy no matter where you finish. Just wait. Once you pull the trigger and race, it will be in your blood and it will be hard to replacate the feeling you get when the gate drops. I haven't raced as much the last couple years. I ride more OP's now because of family. Although I get so much more seat time at an OP, its just not the same feeling you get on race day.

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:38 PM

sorry.. but usually at his stated weight he would need springs.. figured he would already know that..(since hes already looking for suspension work) so i didnt mention that.. my bad..

and ur right we did talk about this in the other thread.. didnt look at the author tho.. my bad..

and to Wiz.. not always true.. yes the 08 turned slightly better then the 06-07.. some need that extra help getting into corners.. offset clamps help this for some.. as well as moving the forks up in the clamps.. ive ridden an 08 stock then jumped on my 07 with 22.5pc clamps. and i perfered to offset over the stock.(not just cause its my own bike) only cause i like to dive to the inside line and change lines mid turn when i have to.. i couldnt do that with the 08.. like i can with the my 07..

• Wiz636

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:53 PM

I am clueless on suspension setup.

If that is the case (it is with most people I think so don't feel bad!) then definitely get up to speed on that before you drop the coin for new triple clamps. I'm not saying clamps won't help, but I am saying that once you have your suspension dialed in you very well may be totally happy with the bike.

The absolute #1 priority for you right now is to get your sag set correctly. That is free and makes a world of difference.

• siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:57 PM

sorry.. but usually at his stated weight he would need springs.. figured he would already know that..(since hes already looking for suspension work) so i didnt mention that.. my bad..

and ur right we did talk about this in the other thread.. didnt look at the author tho.. my bad..

and to Wiz.. not always true.. yes the 08 turned slightly better then the 06-07.. some need that extra help getting into corners.. offset clamps help this for some.. as well as moving the forks up in the clamps.. ive ridden an 08 stock then jumped on my 07 with 22.5pc clamps. and i perfered to offset over the stock.(not just cause its my own bike) only cause i like to dive to the inside line and change lines mid turn when i have to.. i couldnt do that with the 08.. like i can with the my 07..

I didnt mean to come off rude or anything, I was just stating that we went over this and I just didnt want to write everything over again. So how many mm did you slide up the tubes? And do the suspension people supply the new shock spring with the revalve? Or should I just call after the holidays? I dont want to be a jerk. :bonk:

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 26, 2008 - 03:25 PM

I didnt mean to come off rude or anything, I was just stating that we went over this and I just didnt want to write everything over again. So how many mm did you slide up the tubes? And do the suspension people supply the new shock spring with the revalve? Or should I just call after the holidays? I dont want to be a jerk. :bonk:

naa u didnt come off wrong or rub me the wrong way.. just saying my bad.. i should of looked at the author before posting...

but i slid them up to the first line on the forks which is 5mm..
as far as springs and revalve...

springs are extra to the revalve.. a typical revalve/spring will cost u around 700 bucks..

springs are about 110 a end.. so 220 just in springs.. and the adverage shop will cost u 185-200 each end so thats 370-400.. then u plus oil and worn parts which is around 75 bucks... but if u get a quote from a suspension shop they will tell u everthing that will be done.. and prices..

but at ur weight springs will def help the handling of the bike so its a expense worth it..

if u have anymore ?s pm me..

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2008 - 03:58 PM

A new Ti rear shock spring is like 400 bucks! Is it worth it? And would I need to get heavier fork springs as well?

Ti springs are nice simply because they are light. But you'll get more out of a bike that's 3 pounds heavier and has the right spring rates than you will by hanging onto the wrong spring because it's cool. Steel springs are only about $100, and work just as well.

And, yes, do both ends.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.