steering damper for -09 yz450f

7 replies to this topic
  • xorron5

Posted November 26, 2008 - 09:37 AM

Hi after coming of my -05 yz450f the -09 turns much better..but the steering
is very sensitive ..so have u guys felt the same that it could use an steering damper...

• siscokid7

Posted November 26, 2008 - 09:43 AM

Post A Pic!!

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2008 - 10:38 AM

I run a Scotts on mine, and I really don't care to ride without one anymore.

• xorron5

Posted November 27, 2008 - 02:12 AM

i quess thats my next purchage...i have to ring them up to get the prise..cheers

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted November 27, 2008 - 06:22 AM

Try tightening the stearing nut a little more.

• Kasjok

Posted November 27, 2008 - 06:31 AM

If you do that be ready to replace the bearing soon.

• Matt_W

Posted November 27, 2008 - 08:59 AM

It's funny, for the longest time I never used a steering stabilizer on any of my bikes. Many years back a came across a good deal on a Scott's and picked one up an older YZ 250 I had at the time. I have to admit that I didn't notice a huge difference at first. But, you tend not to notice subtle things like increased stamina, less frequent bar slappers, better stability through technical woods sections, etc. I had that YZ and stabilizer for a couple of years before I picked up my next bike. I didn't have the mounting post I needed for the new bike, but I rode it a few times without the stabilizer until I could pick up a new mounting post. HOLY COW the new bike felt like the bars wanted to pull away from my hands at every turn and square edged hit. I literally felt uncomfortable riding the bike. It's not until you've ridden with a stabilizer for a while and then ride without one that you realize how great they really are !! You're arms stay fresh longer, the bike tracks better through technical terrain and bar slappers are a thing of the past :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted November 27, 2008 - 09:42 AM

If you do that be ready to replace the bearing soon.

The head bearings in the YZ's are Timken, or tapered roller types, Unlike ball bearings, these hold up best if preloaded. In fact, to illustrate the point, the Timken pinion bearings in the typical rear wheel drive car or light truck are preloaded to the point that it requires 25-30 inch pounds of torque to keep the shaft rotating. In operation these spin at 3000 RPM or so under heavy loads for hours at a time.

Taking the torque of the preload ring up to 7-10 ft/lb rather than the 5 called for will probably do no harm whatever. OTOH, while it will help a little with head shake, it's certainly nowhere near as effective as a damper.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.