WR Hillclimbing gear

13 replies to this topic
  • c9buff

Posted November 26, 2008 - 09:29 AM

Got an 05 WR-450. What gear do you guys find yourselves in when hitting a big hillclimb? I am starting to see that 1st and 2nd is too low. Seem to enjoy 3rd and lug the engine.

buff

• zimak

Posted November 26, 2008 - 10:04 AM

If its one of the super long steep ones like out here in the desert I'll hit top of 3rd before starting the hill and occasionally have to downshift...but these 450's lug up ok...as long as you dont have a mile to go of steep straight upness.
All depends though, the ones where you wind up with a good turn midway up the climb I'll always d/s to 2nd and use some clutch and just keep up the momentum.

• erickdj

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:00 PM

it all depends on the size of the hill. I find myself using at least 3rd gear, but if the hill is not very rutted or has too many holes I'll use 4th gear and rip it all the way to the top with the gas almost wide open. One time I was racing uphill some guy that had a crf, I was on my yz450 and made it all the way up to 5th gear near the top of the hill. I don't like to lug my bike on hills unless I have to, I prefer to rip it up as much as I can.

• tribalbc

Posted November 26, 2008 - 03:53 PM

Well hills around here it's pretty rare I can even get enough in run to pull third. They tend to be steep and gnarly with lots of obstacles. Second is usually my gear of choice.
Biggest trick with hills is to pull a higher gear using the clutch rather than a lower gear revved out. The clutch is your friend. Use it for revs, traction control and to keep from looping out.

• c9buff

Posted November 26, 2008 - 04:24 PM

I'm starting to see this. I'm amazed how low 3rd can go with the help of the clutch and not stall. Starting to really love the four stroke. 2ND gear when I wind it out gets me in trouble. I end up just spinning the rear and it starts bouncing off of everything. I would love to see some hills in BC.

• tribalbc

Posted November 26, 2008 - 05:16 PM

I would love to see some hills in BC.

There's definately no shortage :bonk:

• RedBull420

Posted November 26, 2008 - 05:31 PM

Well hills around here it's pretty rare I can even get enough in run to pull third. They tend to be steep and gnarly with lots of obstacles. Second is usually my gear of choice.
Biggest trick with hills is to pull a higher gear using the clutch rather than a lower gear revved out. The clutch is your friend. Use it for revs, traction control and to keep from looping out.

In the same boat here. Hit it in 2nd and see how long you can go then drop into 1st if needed. Not a lot of 3rd gear hills around here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brad the best

Posted November 26, 2008 - 06:38 PM

most of the hills i climb you have to hit in 3rd gear and have it just about bouncing off the rev limiter otherwise you wont have the power 4th gear you just stall out if you catch any air time , but that could be my technique .

i don't lug my bike outside of its power range its hard on the con rod bearings .

• c9buff

Posted November 26, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Brad, when you say bouncing off the rev limiter, do you mean keeping the rpms high with the clutch?

thanks,

buff

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 26, 2008 - 10:38 PM

3rd on medium hills.
2nd on steep technical hills
4th on easy hills.

• alfie

Posted November 27, 2008 - 03:32 PM

Depends on the hill for me somtimes its 2nd or 3rd.

• brad the best

Posted November 27, 2008 - 06:44 PM

Brad, when you say bouncing off the rev limiter, do you mean keeping the rpms high with the clutch?

thanks,

buff

reved out to the max , i leave the clutch alone . personally thats a good way to burn it out . hit it with speed and hold on , you want full rpm so you have full power .

thats on a sandy hill , because thats mostly what we have and it really loads the bike up , on hard pack i would go about half rpm .

• 02WR426Cali

Posted November 29, 2008 - 09:54 AM

On my 426 out in the desert I found myself using 3rd much more than 2nd for most climbs as 2nd would just wind it out and spin the tire. So I switched out the stock 50 tooth sproket with a stock yz which is 49. I know that 1 tooth usually doesn't change much but it did help. I didn't loose any low end grunt and I can use 2nd more often now. It hasn't changed anything on the tight trails either. Seems to be working in any type of terrain for me

• c9buff

Posted November 29, 2008 - 03:01 PM

Thanks 02, I think I'm going to try that. I ride with guys that have CR's and they kind of say the same thing when it comes to my bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.