WR or KLX

13 replies to this topic
  • Lindsay90

Posted November 26, 2008 - 07:39 AM

I have a 2003 YZ450F that I am going to get rid of and I am now looking for a WR 450 or the KLX 450. I liked my Yamaha never had any problems but now that I am going to a more of a offroad bike I would like people to chime in to tell me what they have heard of both bikes please. I will be looking at the 08 ones. Thanks for all your help. :bonk:

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 26, 2008 - 08:09 AM

WR all the way. i think fit and finish is 10 times that of the klr plus yamaha has been making these for a long time compared to Kawi klx that is only two years old.

Before i sold my 06, i put over 11k miles with ZERO valve adjustments. My dad's 06 has the same amount of time and his valves still havent moved either. We however we did do a pistion for good measure!

• zimak

Posted November 26, 2008 - 08:15 AM

The only plus I see on the KLX over the WR is seat height but thats only b/c I'm short at 5'8...that 1.6in shorter seat height would be nice....although I'm still shopping for a new leftover WR at dealerships.

The KLX (read their forum) does still have a few issues going through the ironing out phase. If you decide to go KLX I would say 09 or wait for the 2010's so that hopefully all issues will be ironed out.

• Lindsay90

Posted November 26, 2008 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info plus does the WR come with more extras on the bike?

• zimak

Posted November 26, 2008 - 11:11 AM

None that I know of. They both would need uncorking/jetting but both have a similar trip computer/speedo so not sure what extras you mean.

• Lindsay90

Posted November 26, 2008 - 12:50 PM

None that I know of. They both would need uncorking/jetting but both have a similar trip computer/speedo so not sure what extras you mean.

Better rims also it looks like the skid plate??

• honeycutt

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:05 PM

I would stay with Yamaha. My buddy has an 07 KX 450 and the fit and finish on the KX is awful and not to mention some of the high dollar problems he has had. I have an 07 WR450 and have had no problems, no valve adjustments and it still feels and looks brand new! Stay Blue!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamaLink

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:07 PM

For the 08 I would choose the WR without hesitation.

• Ka0sX

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:13 PM

i have a klx450r in my shed i have went thru 2 back tires 2 chain guids

The battery keeps on dieing even a brand new 1 i have not the oem one

Speedo broke had to get a new 1,

There was one day it took me 4 hours to get the bike going rode it one day it was fin then next day nothing it idles high all the time

iam getting a 2009 wr450 should have in in a day or 2 waiting for it to come in its going to replace the klx450

Just seems iam always tinkering with the klx more then i ride

Hope this helps

The KLX is a blast of a bike to ride tho its lots of fun when it works

Great confidence builder,

Cheers

• Lindsay90

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:15 AM

i have a klx450r in my shed i have went thru 2 back tires 2 chain guids

The battery keeps on dieing even a brand new 1 i have not the oem one

Speedo broke had to get a new 1,

There was one day it took me 4 hours to get the bike going rode it one day it was fin then next day nothing it idles high all the time

iam getting a 2009 wr450 should have in in a day or 2 waiting for it to come in its going to replace the klx450

Just seems iam always tinkering with the klx more then i ride

Hope this helps

The KLX is a blast of a bike to ride tho its lots of fun when it works

Great confidence builder,

Cheers

Thanks for the info also do you think Yamaha (WR) will come out with EFI in 2010 bike?

• Himsa123

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:19 AM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=714655

Little more info on the two.:bonk:

My opinion........WR!

• Lindsay90

Posted December 01, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Sold WR it is! now must sell the 03 YZ first thanks all for the help.

• Ka0sX

Posted December 01, 2008 - 12:43 PM

Sold WR it is! now must sell the 03 YZ first thanks all for the help.

I dont think you will regret getting the wr450f

Iam on my way to go get mine as iam typing this post gotta drive 2 1/2 hours to get it and 2 1/2 to come home going to be a nice day drip looking forward to bringing it home might even be able to break it intoday aswell

Ill post pics later of my new bike

Happy :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 01, 2008 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the info plus does the WR come with more extras on the bike?

The WR has excel rims, pro taper bars, more power (all things equal), narrower ergonomics, and a lighter feel in roll mode.

With that said the KLX is not a bad bike....and if I owned one I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for eating batteries.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.