Warmest Thermal Underwear U Can Buy?

18 replies to this topic
  • PorterzCustomz

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

What is the absolute warmest/thickest thermal underwear that you can possibly buy for extreme cold riding!!? It is now winter here and I refuse to give up riding just because its really cold outside. However I get cold very easily :bonk: I have thermals now that help but they are still not warm enough. Where can I buy the best of the best preferably in black instead of gray.

What other gear should I wear?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:01 PM

How about an high output stator and some electrically heated accessories? Another option is to ride really hard trails. No problem staying warm then.

I find that layers is best. Then you can adjust the number to what you actually need.

I usually don't ride if it's much below 35 to 40 at the staging spot. I've been riding down into the teens when getting to altitude. That's freaking cold on a bike. I don't ride my street bike to work if it's below 50. Just sitting there on the street can really chill you quick.

• markseaba

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

check this out:
http://www.backcount...-Underwear.html

any quality ski undies. Capilene material is great.

I have a BLACK pair of Marker brand capilene that will keep you very warm and whick away and sweat. the best.

• KTMMotoGirl

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:36 PM

I have REI heavy weight thermals - they are polyester fleece and very warm, but they take up more room under your clothing than normal thermals, so you can't wear them under gear that is already tight. I love them for cold weather riding - the coldest being in the mid 20's.

Here is the link: Heavy Weight Thermals

• ky450

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:25 PM

search for "Under Armour" online. Just be sitting when you see the price. You can also look at cabelas.com or other hunting retailers for insulated undies.

• Gotlabs

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

Polartec, hands down. Amazing stuff.

• PorterzCustomz

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:25 AM

I have REI heavy weight thermals - they are polyester fleece and very warm, but they take up more room under your clothing than normal thermals, so you can't wear them under gear that is already tight. I love them for cold weather riding - the coldest being in the mid 20's.

Here is the link: Heavy Weight Thermals

They look pretty nice but it only shows the bottoms.

• jkm712

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Check out Aerostich. They're very expensive, but have some good stuff for cold weather riding. www.aerostich.com

• jdubb75

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

One important thing to consider is an outer layer that blocks the wind. You will be surprised at how much it helps to keep you warm.:bonk:

• KTMMotoGirl

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:57 AM

They look pretty nice but it only shows the bottoms.

Here is a link with all the options: REI Heavy Weight

Here you can look at different brands as well, but you will see that the REI is must less expensive and I love it!

• fasteer

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:36 PM

warmest gear you can buy is electric.
Several mfgs out there.
Aerostich mentioned above is what I have.
also see http://www.gerbing.c...ucts/liners.php

• Roostin_Honda

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

Throwing this one out there, long johns+sweat pants+snow boarding pants= warm!

• Roostin_Honda

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:47 PM

Are you riding bikes or snowmobiles?

• Thunderbug

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:50 PM

US Navy Seals use Thinsulate™ thermal underwear under their BDU's and drysuits.

Check em' out!

http://www.cabelas.c...d/0022140.shtml

• John In NC

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:04 AM

For an outside the box suggestion, try an electric jacket liner. I live in eastern NC and ride my street bike pretty much all year round. The liner draws about 100 watts. That is no problem for my ST 1300. I've used it on my 2002 DRZ s and it didn't kill it. Note that I've replaced the tail light assembly with LED's. When I use the liner I pull the bulb on the headlight. The heated liner is by far leaps and bounds the warmest riding accessory I've used.

• PorterzCustomz

Posted 30 November 2008 - 07:07 AM

It would be on a dirtbike or quad. Good info.

• highmarker

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:29 AM

For an adventure ride that's mostly a sit down street ride layers of any any amount or material will just buy you more time, you'll eventually get cold again. Electric is the only answer for long trips.

For an active dualsport ride the activity of working the bike will keep you warm and you can adjust layers as needed. I ride snowmobiles in the mountains and most people would think we freeze our ass off. Not true, I wear less than I do on a street ride on a cold day to stay comfortable because it's so much work.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

I love my Under Armour Cold gear. Works killer.

• ThatsA5

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

These are not the cheapest but I am sure the warmest. Super high quality too.

I bought 2 pairs 10 years ago to use for snowmobiling. They still look new. I wear Style 2. What I like about them is I just wear these with a tee shirt and an outer shell. They wick sweat great and are anti microbial...No stink!

I have been kept warm down to -24 degrees.

Its a small company and when you call you talk to the owner and the person who sews them up.

https://www.cdsports...m/wf_style1.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.