now what?

21 replies to this topic
  • whosnext

Posted November 25, 2008 - 08:27 AM

Ok I have tried so many things to get my 03 wr450 to run right I am going to light it on fire soon! The bike runs great low end mid range and then it stutters on top end....I have re jetted the bike I have even changed the jets in the feild to see if I could get the right one in still stuuters! Things I have done, I have taken the carb off cleaned it up I also put the JD kit in( used many different jets the JETTING is not the problem! I have replaced the plug, I have replaced the air filter, I have ran the bike with out the tps, I have checked for vaccum leaks. The one thing that was interesting to me is when I was checking the valves I noticed that the ounch marks in the cams was off...One cam on the intake side was one tooth off? I brought the cam back to the original specs and thought I had found the problem but still stutters! Could it be the ignition coil? could it be the cdi? What the hell is going on? Oh one more thing the grey wire mod was done so I plugged it back in and still stutters. I want to avoid the dealer but it looks like thats where it is headed:banghead: If you guys can think of anything else please let me know what I can do. This happened from one minute to the next it was running good and then all the sudden bam it started missing......PLEASE HELP!

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 25, 2008 - 09:58 AM

First, tell us if this stuttering is when you are holding the throttle steady? Exactly what is the position of the throttle when this occurs?

The most important lesson is to learn how use the SEARCH function.

That will be your best friend as this problem is COMMON. Jetting/TPS/CDI are some of the culprits. When you do a search, you will find the many discussions on this topic and you will find some things to work on.

• buggs bunny

Posted November 25, 2008 - 10:08 AM

since the cam chain was off just maybey the gear actually moved on one of
your cams,so when you moved it back you really moved it more off?

just trying to help

• whosnext

Posted November 25, 2008 - 10:20 AM

since the cam chain was off just maybey the gear actually moved on one of
your cams,so when you moved it back you really moved it more off?

just trying to help

Actually when we moved it back it was dead on where it is suppose to be according to the manual.

• whosnext

Posted November 25, 2008 - 10:21 AM

First, tell us if this stuttering is when you are holding the throttle steady? Exactly what is the position of the throttle when this occurs?

The most important lesson is to learn how use the SEARCH function.

That will be your best friend as this problem is COMMON. Jetting/TPS/CDI are some of the culprits. When you do a search, you will find the many discussions on this topic and you will find some things to work on.

I have tried to use the search mode none of them seem to help much maybe you can help me find a good link to one?

• Smitty0720

Posted November 25, 2008 - 10:29 AM

Take a look at the stator. I had a KTM EXC with exactly the same problem. Ran fine in the lower and mid range, but when it got to the top; it would stutter like crazy. Put a new one on and it ran great!! Hope this helps.

• tribalbc

Posted November 25, 2008 - 10:55 AM

Take a look at the stator. I had a KTM EXC with exactly the same problem. Ran fine in the lower and mid range, but when it got to the top; it would stutter like crazy. Put a new one on and it ran great!! Hope this helps.

Yeah if it happened from one minute to the next it sounds electrical.
I burned a stator on a old Husaberg before and it just suddenly started stuttering on anything mid range up.

• whosnext

Posted November 25, 2008 - 11:19 AM

interesting I might check that...One other thing I forgot to mention that its popping fuses....

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 25, 2008 - 11:39 AM

I have tried to use the search mode none of them seem to help much maybe you can help me find a good link to one?

Hmmm, did you try to search the word Stutter. When I do, it gave me a long list of threads on stutter dealing with CDI, to Jetting to TPS.

So have a look at those and have a look at your Stator as suggested by some fellow TTers.

And keep us informed as to how it goes.

• Mutu

Posted November 25, 2008 - 10:32 PM

13 pins between the punch marks on the cams mate.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhmotard

Posted November 26, 2008 - 06:33 AM

what are your current jetting specs?

• whosnext

Posted November 26, 2008 - 09:28 AM

Why does everyone say the jetting is off? If the bike is running good and all of the sudden it starts running like crap it is NOT the carb I could understand if the bike always ran that way but it didnt its like a light switch! I am in the process of checking the stator now...The bike had a dakar dual sport kit on it previous to my purchase of it so who knows what might have been done to the stator maybe its grounding out causing a fluctuation in spark? I know that this seems to be a issue on these bikes by reading some of the posts, Its pretty frustrating that I cant find this bug! I am starting to get a bad taste in my mouth for blue bikes.

• c9buff

Posted November 26, 2008 - 09:34 AM

I had kind of the same problem with my 05. It would run fine for a few minutes then crap. I went over the whole bike like you did but before I was about to throw the thing out I did the electrical check for the coil. It was totally out of spec. The bike is a totally different machine now. the check for the coil is easy to do.

• whosnext

Posted November 26, 2008 - 09:39 AM

I had kind of the same problem with my 05. It would run fine for a few minutes then crap. I went over the whole bike like you did but before I was about to throw the thing out I did the electrical check for the coil. It was totally out of spec. The bike is a totally different machine now. the check for the coil is easy to do.

How do you do it?

• c9buff

Posted November 26, 2008 - 09:44 AM

gonna need the manual. All you are doing is taking two resistance readings with a multi-meter. Check your readings against the values in the book.

• whosnext

Posted November 26, 2008 - 10:03 AM

it says you need a dynamic coil tester?

• whosnext

Posted November 26, 2008 - 10:09 AM

never mind I found it lets see whats up!

• whosnext

Posted November 26, 2008 - 04:16 PM

Ok I found the problem it was the TPS did a ohm check and at full throttle it wasnt putting enough!!!!

• c9buff

Posted November 26, 2008 - 08:12 PM

let us know if that is the fix.

buff

• whosnext

Posted November 27, 2008 - 11:14 AM

Well after ohm tesing all the stuff I thought it was the tps well......I took the carb off one more time and BAM sping off the fuel adjust screw had fallen off:banghead: All the guys saying it was a fuel issue where right :bonk: Thanks for all the help guys!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.