Where can you buy Toluene for a HC piston?

10 replies to this topic
  • Justin89

Posted November 24, 2008 - 08:51 PM

:bonk: Hey guys, where can you buy the fuel addative toluene? I heard you can mix this with regular supreme gas for a higher octane...is this true? Will this hurt/is it bad for the bike in any way? I'm just thinking about putting a 13:5:1 piston in my Yami and dont want any pinging going on. Also, can you just use a car octane booster for this type of stuff? Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.:bonk: :bonk:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 24, 2008 - 09:43 PM

sherwin williams, mix 20% toluene (1 gal toluene,4 gal gasoline) may need to lean out your jetting a little.
car octane boosters are crap,there is one brand left that is actually real lead additive;i think its called octane supreme.:bonk:

• Justin89

Posted November 24, 2008 - 09:49 PM

sherwin williams, mix 20% toluene (1 gal toluene,4 gal gasoline) may need to lean out your jetting a little.
car octane boosters are crap,there is one brand left that is actually real lead additive;i think its called octane supreme.:bonk:

Thanks for the info on the toluene! Im just worried about some pinging going on and dont want to run race gas...

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted November 25, 2008 - 08:02 AM

You can buy it at any Paint Store. I would sugest staying away from Sherwin Williams in CA. Be prepared to show your ID. It is now illegal to sell toluene in CA without checking ID. Try Vista Paint....probably the best price, then Frazee, ICI, Dunn Edwards and lastly SW.

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2008 - 09:24 AM

I would sugest staying away from Sherwin Williams in CA.

And why?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Justin89

Posted November 25, 2008 - 10:11 AM

And why?

Hey gray, what do you think about this toluene as an octain booster? So auto octain boosters are crap then right? :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2008 - 11:30 AM

Toluene is pretty effective, and was a major component of some of the better non-lead boosters. It's also already a component of gasoline (especially race gas), so it's not voodoo chemistry.

Auto octane boosters aren't crap, exactly, but they do tend to be somewhat over rated. When the label tells you that it will raise the octane 3 points, that means it will take it from 91 to 91.3, not to 94.

• qwik12beat

Posted November 25, 2008 - 04:48 PM

I have used toluene in my car quite a few times. Without it i could only run 24psi with less than 5 counts of knock.When i add 2 gallons toluene to about 10gallons of 93 i can run 30+psi with no knock at all.:bonk: E85 is even more knock friendly, but it only has about 70-80% the power potential gasoline does. This is why you have to burn so much more e85 than gas. E85 wouldnt be a practical fuel for a bike. Sorry i started to ramble there:smirk:

Over time it can damage fuel pumps, and seals. It would take alot though

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted November 26, 2008 - 06:55 AM

And why?

Because they have raised there price on solvents 4 or it might be 5 times this year alone. They are just way over priced would be my main reason. There are other issues with many of there products but that would be wayyyyyyyy off topic.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 26, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Because they have raised there price on solvents 4 or it might be 5 times this year alone. They are just way over priced would be my main reason. There are other issues with many of there products but that would be wayyyyyyyy off topic.

if you buy it in case form(4 /1 gal cans) its $12 a gal here,if ya work that out its about $4 a gallon for your own race gas;i also add a capful of marvel mystery oil to the 5 gal can as the toluene is a bit dry.

• grayracer513

Posted November 26, 2008 - 09:01 AM

Bob,

You mentioned finding the need to lean the jetting. Others have posted the opposite. What was your experience with it at 20%?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.