08 yz450 for woods bike?pros and cons

58 replies to this topic
  • SparksXR426

Posted October 12, 2009 - 06:07 PM

My riding buddies and I were discussing bike applications during a break to day and it almost always boils own to preference. I ride mostly first to third gear bush riding and run a 53 tooth rear, GYTR off road weight and a Q series slip on. Stock springs and valving as their about right for me(190) No it doesnt pull right off idle like an XR would but I find it to have excellant low end manners and the suspension is plush enough for most things (except boulder fields) and still works on an MX track. Ive done the modded trail bike thing and ended up with an almost works level XR400 that isnt nearly as effective for me as my YZ with a few bolt ons. I dont have any experience with the WR and honestly not interested. No matter how aggressive the new stock four stroke motors are I still find it easier to use their power more effectively than any pinger Ive ridden. (my last one was an RM250) But thats just me, if we all agreed on the best bikes and setups then we all would be riding the same thing and where's the fun in that? Go with what works for you(especially if your wrong, that makes you easier to pass):bonk:

• yamaha227

Posted October 13, 2009 - 01:45 AM

Sure.

When you lug a 2-stroke down low, the motor just kinda buzzes along smoothly.

On my 450, if you let the revs drop you get this chunk-a-chunk-a-chunk feel, its just not very smooth, kinda high-strung.

Engine braking plays in to this as well. I never have liked the way a 4-stroke feels when you chop the throttle. Kind of a back-n-forth see-saw effect from opening the throttle (snap) and let off (engine brake).

Like I said, this only applies to really tight trails. More flowing, quad-width trails or open desert, and the 450 is sweet.

This is all just my oddball opinion though. Results may vary.

I have to agree with you here, after riding/racing both types for years. I have found the 2 stroke alot easier to modulate small throttle settings with its smoother low throttle response and less engine braking.

• Polar_Bus

Posted October 13, 2009 - 04:48 AM

I see. I have no plans for quad width trails or other open areas and my smoker lugs very well like you noted. The last WR I rode was all uncorked but I hated the engine due to lack of spin-up. It would not power wheelie (I'm heavy) and just didn't rev fast enough for me. That's why I'm thinking YZ450F. Possibly with a big azz FWW and a Rekluse the herk-a-jerk can be gone. Compression breaking rocks. :bonk:

I also did not like the Wide Ratio trannies' on the WR's. Power shifting from 2nd to 3rd (at least with respect to the 250's) on the WR's was like jumping across the grand canyon...

I had a '02 WR250F, and the bike in general sucked. Back in '02 I wanted to get away from MX, and tried a WR. Big mistake in hindsight.
The power was poor (yes mine was all uncorked, and YZ cammed). The suspension was all wrong, it was too firm in the technical woods, and of course way too soft on the MX track, The early WR's had the extra capacity tall fuel tank, which was nice on long rides, but terrible for aggressively shifting body foreward for cornering. I'm sure the new WR's have come a long way, but I made a very expensive mistake back in '02. I should have just bought a 250F, and added a skid, and some handguards LOL

I like my '07 YZ in the woods after the addition of a 2 teeth larger rear sprocket, and yea I do wish it was suspended a little more plush, but ya' can't have it all...

• grayracer513

Posted October 13, 2009 - 06:43 AM

I also did not like the Wide Ratio trannies' on the WR's. Power shifting from 2nd to 3rd (at least with respect to the 250's) on the WR's was like jumping across the grand canyon...

I like my '07 YZ in the woods after the addition of a 2 teeth larger rear sprocket, and yea I do wish it was suspended a little more plush, but ya' can't have it all...

Actually, you pretty much can, you just can't get it all in an off-the-shelf package. That takes us back to the question of which end to start from to get to some point between the two.

The WR450 trans does not have an unreasonable gap between 2nd and 3rd, although the 1-2 jump is somewhat bigger than the YZ.

Here's a bar chart comparing the two.

• erprob

Posted October 13, 2009 - 06:57 AM

I was in your exact same shoes, I race hare scrambles and have most of my bikes setup with a GPR, large tanks, skid plates all the normal stuff. I sold my 2005 YZ 250 around 2 years ago because it had a lot of hours on it and even though it was well maintained and I wanted a change.
I thought I was being smart and bought a KTM 450 XC-F. I will not go into any large details but I got a lemon to say the least. Plus I will never buy a bike without a kicker again and KTM’s feel heavy too.
I sold the KTM bike and bought a YZ 250f and got it ready for racing. I had tried the bike out before buying it in the trails and I thought it was a good choice. But to my surprise it lacked a lot of power that I normally used for passing. I was fast in the woods no doubt, but was getting killed on the straights and basically had a real hard time passing people because when the track opened up just a little, they just hammered the throttle and they were gone. Since I have not been racing since age 5 I lack some cornering skills. If you are really good in corners and can keep your momentum, then a 250f might be for you. If you hammer the throttle a lot to pass people on the short straight you need a 450f.
I sold my 250f since I was not having any fun on the bike and was shifting all the time. I bought a 450f. I love my 450f. It might be a little heavier but the bike is a blast to ride. It is just so much smoother than the 250 2 stroke. I might be a little slower in the woods, but over all I’m faster on the 450f. The hill climbs are a blast. I moved up to a 51 tooth in the back so I could use 2nd gear.
One other thing, I broke down and bought a rekluse pro. I love it, I still clutch but you really do not have to worry about stalling as much.
I just got the suspension done too since I only weight 160 lbs. The bike is amazing now, starts really easy too. I would say 450f or a 250 two stroke., not a 250f.

Rob

• jason white

Posted October 22, 2009 - 06:58 PM

I currently have a 06 yz450 does the 09 yz450 handle better? Has the transmission changed are all the gears about the same?

• KAS

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:08 PM

I currently have a 06 yz450 does the 09 yz450 handle better? Has the transmission changed are all the gears about the same?

The '08 & '09 are supposed to turn better than previous years, but I couldn't notice a difference between my '07 and my '08.

Gear ratios are exactly the same.

• Pipefitter317

Posted October 30, 2009 - 07:05 PM

Just sold my WR450 :banana:to buy a YZ450:worthy:, I really agree that the wr is a heavy bike(at least for me) but man is it a great woods bike. I am wanting to know what weight of a fly wheel are you guys running on your YZF? I also like the idea of a rekluse, Ive heard alot of great things about them. I will be riding tight trails with a lot of hills.

• KAS

Posted October 31, 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'm running a Steahly. Its actually a completely new flywheel with the weight welded on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pipefitter317

Posted November 02, 2009 - 03:22 PM

I'm running a Steahly. Its actually a completely new flywheel with the weight welded on.

I have seen the Stealy flywheels and they come in different weights(+4oz or +8oz) somewhere in that ball park. Also, I see that yamaha also offers two different weights. Would the lighter of the two be good? Or go for the heavy weight? I just wonder how big of a difference there would be. :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2009 - 03:31 PM

I have seen the Stealy flywheels and they come in different weights(+4oz or +8oz) somewhere in that ball park. Also, I see that yamaha also offers two different weights. Would the lighter of the two be good? Or go for the heavy weight? I just wonder how big of a difference there would be. :smirk:

IMO, anything lighter than 8 ounces is a simple waste of time, money, and effort. You will notice no loss of performance in the bike with a GYT-R 9 ounce, only better behavior and smoother low speed power.

• Bandit9

Posted February 11, 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'm bringing this one back. Mainly b/c I'm interested in a 08/09 YZ450 for Enduro and Hare Scrambles. I'm a consistent top 10 Overall B rider for ability level.

I have an 09 WR450 that I have set up pretty well. I bought it for a Dual Sport bike and for casual trail riding. It is a little heavy, but stripping the lights, odometer, kick stand, plus the new light batteries have really made a big difference in how the WR handles. Once I "YZeed" it, I've come to haul ass on it in the tight single track. I've been racing it. I had a YZ 250 2stroke for racing, but the 450 motor with no vibes and the stability has spoiled me. I feel as fast or faster than I've ever been. Safer too. Thinking I want a dedicated 450 race bike. WR is doing better than I thought, but it has to be better on a YZ450??? Right? Just the suspension alone with the good SSS fork would be money. Slap a wussy clutch on it, my 18" WR wheel, usual guards, and go shred. To hell with the tranny ratios and kick start. No trail riding, just racing. Comfort is not a concern. I have the WR for trail riding....

I weighed the WR in "Race Mode" and with no fuel it is 259 lbs. How much lighter would a 08/09 YZ450 be with all the woods guards stuff? I usually run Flatlands Radiator guards, Poly/ plastic skid plate, hand guards, etc...

Any guesses? Might not be worth the trouble and just stick with WR. Maybe get a set SSS forks off Ebay, again.. LOL I actually bought a set, but gave them to my tuner in exchange for rebuild of the stock WR forks/shock. At the time I didn't think this WR was going to be as good as it is. So I'm digging the WR and thinking a YZ450 could be a lot better. Yes or No?image.jpg

Edited by Bandit9, February 13, 2013 - 11:10 AM.

• rhinoracin

Posted February 12, 2013 - 01:19 PM

450s are a blast in the woods. after riding a wr450 through some singletrack woods, I was set on getting a Yamaha 450 so I got the 09 yz. Feels about as light as a 250f...the only thing is gearing. Exhaust and cdi helped a lot so it doesnt wanna stall so easy in 1st

• Gunner354

Posted February 13, 2013 - 10:41 AM

450s are a blast in the woods. after riding a wr450 through some singletrack woods, I was set on getting a Yamaha 450 so I got the 09 yz. Feels about as light as a 250f...the only thing is gearing. Exhaust and cdi helped a lot so it doesnt wanna stall so easy in 1st

Installing a Rekluse will complete the package and eliminate stalling and the tall first gear feeling.

• WGP

Posted February 13, 2013 - 04:16 PM

2012 WR450 has SS forks/shock now......took em 5+ years to figure that out....

Heard the e-start sucks, the clutch still sucks, and its even heavier. I'm torn on what to do, I got a 08 YZ450 looking to go newer....

• Bandit9

Posted February 13, 2013 - 05:11 PM

I'm convinced the E start sucks b/c that stock YUASA battery sucks and the motor is plugged up. Once you use a Shorai or similar type battery and un cork it, it should be a 1 to 2 second push before she lights up. Mine starts awesome consistently. It does prefer to be in 1st or 2nd though.
Everyone says the clutch pull is heavy, I've sat on a 2012 at the dealer and it feels just like my 09, which felt just like my 06. It isn't 2 stroke light, but it isn't that heavy either. I have zero problems with it, and I ride nothing but Enduro single track, with the occasional Dual Sport ride. The clutch itself is darn good and they last forever, so considering it's harnessing 50+ HP on tight single track, it is a good package.

• shrubitup

Posted July 12, 2013 - 06:59 AM

I finally got a 09 YZ450 and the praise that's described here is true. Been on many different MX bikes for woods. This is my first 450 and I really like it. No complaints. Really dials up the fun factor for me. :thumbsup:

• Old Man Rider

Posted July 14, 2013 - 08:51 PM

Not sure why people are saying that the WR estart sucks. I have an 05 WR - estart works great - perhaps I have been lucky. I usually kick the bike when first starting because you can wear down the battery pretty quick - but once the bike is warm the estart works fantastic. I appreciate this button every time I get stuck on a steep hill or in 36 inches of water.

After riding last week I have decided I will not own a bike without an estart (really want estart and a kicker both). Trying to determine what my next bike will be - all have plus and minus. The WR is a great woods bike but I miss the low end snap of a YZF. But this same snappy response is not ideal for woods riding. I think if you are a mostly woods rider you should start with a bike built for this and make the mods to get it to where you want - if you ride mostly track then that is an even easier decision to buy a YZF type bike. I thought the KTM XCF would be the perfect woods bike for me but some people say they suck. It would be great to be able to spend a few hours on each bike before buying.

• WGP

Posted July 18, 2013 - 06:16 AM

Not sure why people are saying that the WR estart sucks. I have an 05 WR - estart works great - perhaps I have been lucky. I usually kick the bike when first starting because you can wear down the battery pretty quick - but once the bike is warm the estart works fantastic. I appreciate this button every time I get stuck on a steep hill or in 36 inches of water.

Its the new WR's that the e-start doesn't work good, I also had a 05 WR and it worked perfectly for years.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.