08 yz450 for woods bike?pros and cons

58 replies to this topic
  • cmd

Posted November 24, 2008 - 07:46 PM

heres a quick run down.just sold my 07 yz 250 that was setup for woods,the usual-dampner,gnarly pipe,flww,susp revalved,tank,blah,blah.anyways before that a had a yz250f set up the same. also had a 05 wr450..great bike but it was a tank.i'm thinking about a 450f just for something diffrent than the 2 smoker.am i gonna be dissapointed?my riding consists of tight single track riding mostly and of coarse some hill climbs too:smirk:(brwn mtn,steel crk etc.) if i do buy one it'll have a dampner and rekluse.thought the rekluse would be a good way to tame it, keep it lugging and not stalling.no need for e-start hopefully. man the wr was a tank and that's all i can think about when i think"450",but boy was that power fun on a hill.anyways thanks in advance-cody

• cmd

Posted November 24, 2008 - 08:00 PM

forgot to mention that i would also consider a kf450f...there seem to be alot of those green things in the woods nowadays.i've had great luck with blue..seem to literally be bulletproof.2 or 4smk..doesn't matter:thumbsup:

• 2 stokes for life

Posted November 24, 2008 - 08:48 PM

I think the 2006 and older WRs are tanks and top heavy. I got to ride a 2007 WR405F befor snowfall here and I was impressed how the weight was hiden. Now it was not YZ250 light but still impresive. A YZ450F must be at least 20lbs lighter and would make a great woods bike because its got a super smooth engine to begin with. If you find the gear ration too short in 4th and 5th then just swap out for a WR gear set.

Sounds like a good move to me.

• twitch88

Posted November 25, 2008 - 07:46 AM

I've got an 08 and just got done with a bunch of singletrack yesterday. So much fun and my bike is completely stock. It handles impeccably, and the power is very manageable. I hear a lot of people complaining about the 08's lack of bottom end punch but for the riding I do 90% of the time (woods) it is perfect. It comes on strong but is not un-manageable.

• uprightchicken

Posted November 25, 2008 - 08:49 AM

Get a flywheel weight and you'll be happy.

• Wiz636

Posted November 25, 2008 - 10:00 AM

I use my '08 for woods and love it. The smooth power of a 450 coupled with a Rekluse Pro is a great set up for tight stuff. If you run a Rekluse you will not need a FWW. I also run a damper and I laced up an 18" rear wheel.

Before this I had an '06 YZ450 and before that I had an RM250 smoker which is one of the most nimble bikes out there but I like my '08 YZ450 more.

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2008 - 11:21 AM

...If you run a Rekluse you will not need a FWW.

I'm speaking a little out of turn because I don't run a Rekluse. The FWW would be less necessary from the standpoint that it won't be needed so badly to prevent stalling at very low speeds, that's true. However, adding a FWW will still smooth out the power output at low RPM, and actually allow the engine to pull harder at speeds around 3000.

• mruke

Posted November 25, 2008 - 11:28 AM

I think the 2006 and older WRs are tanks and top heavy. I got to ride a 2007 WR405F befor snowfall here and I was impressed how the weight was hiden. Now it was not YZ250 light but still impresive. A YZ450F must be at least 20lbs lighter and would make a great woods bike because its got a super smooth engine to begin with. If you find the gear ration too short in 4th and 5th then just swap out for a WR gear set.

Sounds like a good move to me.

.....Or get a WR450 and strip out the e-start & computer, and have the 18" rear and more plush suspension. A less expensive way to do it anyway.....

• Wiz636

Posted November 25, 2008 - 01:46 PM

I'm speaking a little out of turn because I don't run a Rekluse. The FWW would be less necessary from the standpoint that it won't be needed so badly to prevent stalling at very low speeds, that's true. However, adding a FWW will still smooth out the power output at low RPM, and actually allow the engine to pull harder at speeds around 3000.

Very true, I would have been more accurate to say that the Rekluse greatly mitigates the need for a FWW, but not just for the anti-stalling properties but also for low RPM tractability.

On a side note, I see that the Not-so-Grayracer qualified as rifle expert :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2008 - 02:10 PM

I see that the Not-so-Grayracer qualified as rifle expert :bonk:

He did, indeed. 238/250 on the target range and 95/100 on the combat range for a 333. He might end up as High Shooter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRYoda

Posted November 25, 2008 - 05:54 PM

I use my 08 for tight mountain single track and desert. It works quite well after you get the sag/springs for your weight, but it will be no YZ in the woods. They climb great, are easier to ride generally, but a good KTM250/300 is a better woods bike. That being said, I choose the 450 because I think that they are more fun than a pinger and work nearly as well as a 2 stroke. If your 450 is only going to be a woods bike, gear it down a little to make 1st gear a little lower. I leave mine with stock as I hate changing sprockets between the desert and woods and stock gearing is a good compromise. BTW, my old bike was a steel framed WR, and the YZF is WAY better. Ride the bike before you buy a dampner, they are actually very stable, you may not need one, I don't.
Ya know what the ultimate woods bike would be? a 350F motor in a 250F chassis. THAT would be the bike to have.

Yoda

• 2 stokes for life

Posted November 25, 2008 - 06:38 PM

.....Or get a WR450 and strip out the e-start & computer, and have the 18" rear and more plush suspension. A less expensive way to do it anyway.....

While this is possible its just not the same. If he wants a Rekluse he wont need a E-start because it wont really stall out. So he would be saving money if he just did the Rekluse because the intial price of the YZ450F is cheaper. All depending how much you weigh the stock WR suspeison could be too soft for ridding. A YZ450F also makes a great woods bike and great track bike by the sounds of things.

Still eaither way you can not go wrong.

• cmd

Posted November 25, 2008 - 08:11 PM

the wr really isn't a choice.the button's not worth the weight,i'll have the susp.done,and the bulk of my riding is 2nd and 3rd gear tops so the wide ratio tranny isn't really needed.my biggest worry is i'll buy the 450..dump abunch of money,and always feel like its a bit much for my riding.The 250f was fun,didn't wear me out but i always wanted a little more.the 2 smoker would wear me out quick,but i was fastest on it.:bonk: i know.. i know.thats what everyone says. But....since i haven't spent any real time in the past few years on the new 450's i was really hoping that it would be more flickable than the 05 and older 450's that i am acustom to,but still have that extra oumph that i always wanted with the 250f. does this total euphoria really exist or is it still just a pipe dream.bottom line should i keep smokin' or jump back into the 4strokin' game.... and never look back:busted:

• DMC707

Posted November 26, 2008 - 06:17 AM

the wr really isn't a choice.the button's not worth the weight,i'll have the susp.done,and the bulk of my riding is 2nd and 3rd gear -------------------------should i keep smokin' or jump back into the 4strokin' game.... and never look back:busted:

button's not worth it? I think the only thing keeping mine from being perfect is the E-button ! even for MX -- i hope Yammie puts one on the '10 like the KTM's (i'm also 5'8" with a 31" inseam though -- hot starts on tippy toes are no fun)

I like the Wr with a smaller, YZ type tank for woods riding. This helps alleviate a lot of the bulbous top heavy feeling.

All that said, i personally prefer the 2 stroke in the woods, and feel the 4 stroke is inferior to the 2 stroker almost everywhere but the MX track (or GP, GNCC type tracks)
But what works for me may not work as well for others ----

I have both and use my 250 for trail/woods riding and the 450 for MX. I was considering getting rid of the 250 because i am already tripping over too many bikes in my garage, but a recent trail ride made me re-think it. I love that thing ----
as a side note, the 250 is also a lot easier to get airtime style points on if you like to jump occasionally. The big thumper does not like to whip

• gdbarr1976

Posted November 26, 2008 - 01:17 PM

I have a 08 yz I ride in the gncc's. Put on a rekluse, 8 oz flywheel, 50t rear sprocket, ims tank and you are good to go. I also run a fmf system, steering damper and softer fork springs, gripper seat cover with a bump and taller handle bars. It never ends.

For what it is worth, at the last gncc of the year a few weeks ago I noticed that Jason Raines was running a yz. Had been on a wr. I had a little conversation with his father who is his machanic. We are about the same age so he was a little forth coming. He said they tried everything to turn the wr into a yz. Took off the e start etc. He said on paper it should work. But he said Jason would get off the wr and get on the yz and could still tell a difference. It was just faster, felt lighter handled better. Why, he really wasnt sure but all the factory yamaha gncc guys, Raines, Duvall were on yz's. One other note of interest he said they had got the wr forks working so good and didnt have time to dial in the yz that they were running wr forks.

• tribalbc

Posted November 26, 2008 - 02:00 PM

GNCC's are pretty fast and open though. It all depends on your definition of woods.

• endurodog

Posted November 26, 2008 - 03:55 PM

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I own an 08 YZF450 and a 06 YZ250 2stroke. I use the 2 stroke in the woods and the 450 on the track. I have taken my 450 into the woods a few times and just don't like it as well. Especially in tight woods I like the 2 stroke much better and I see you are back east so tight woods I would guess are normal for you. FWIW I ride enduros in the A class so that is where I'm using the 2 stroke mostly. One of my fellow class riders is on an 08 YZ450 and loves it in the woods and he was on a 2 stroke last year.

• cmd

Posted November 26, 2008 - 04:30 PM

man..i think this back and fourth could go on forever huh?:bonk: okay i think i've solved the problem.all of you pitch in a donation to the "human fund" so i can get one of each,then come visit whenever and you will always have a bike to ride here in some of the countries best single trck riding.:lol:man this is killing me,have cash in hand..found a good deal on similar equiped bikes....yz250.....yz450f....hmmmm

• Wiz636

Posted November 26, 2008 - 04:52 PM

man..i think this back and fourth could go on forever huh?:bonk: okay i think i've solved the problem.all of you pitch in a donation to the "human fund" so i can get one of each,then come visit whenever and you will always have a bike to ride here in some of the countries best single trck riding.:lol:man this is killing me,have cash in hand..found a good deal on similar equiped bikes....yz250.....yz450f....hmmmm

Maybe this will help: A friend of mine is a front of the pack Vet A offroad racer and he has an '08 YZ450F and an '07 YZ250 smoker...both set up very well for the woods. Our woods here in western WA are incredibly tight and root infested. He decided to sell the YZ250 because he likes the 450 more.

• ktm300

Posted November 26, 2008 - 06:05 PM

I ride the A class on a well set-up 08' KTM200 and got chance to swap bikes with a guy that had a slightly used 08' YZ450, w/PMB quite muffler cap and a fly wheel wt.

I'm a 2 stroke guy and was really impressed at the pace I could run after a couple of miles of tight Minnesota single track, great brakes, nice seat, it didn't stall and started almost every kick.

I'm boycotting four strokes untill they can make them fast AND quite, but the prices of KTM's I'd looked hard at the YZ, you don't need electric start when the kicker works.

The only thing I would do is soften up the front springs a little, then it would turn almost as good as my dinger.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.