looking for wrf hi/lo headlight switch

2 replies to this topic
  • wrooster

Posted July 02, 2002 - 10:45 AM

hey,

an upcoming enduro requires a working hi/lo headlight (uggh, i know). i've got a USA-spec '01 wr250f, seems like all the right bit are already there for the high beam to work (including the three contact bulb) -- but i need a switch. either a replacement for the stock on/off type (perhaps a three position LO/OFF/HI type?) or maybe i'll just wire up an auxilliary switch to turn the high beam on.

i talked to the folks at www.fourstrokesonly.com -- they were out of stock on a simple on/off type, and i don't really want to get a complicated US$75 headlight+horn+signals type switch. i'll crash and break that thing off in no time. anybody have any leads for me? anyone got something laying on their bench? any Euro- or Aussie-spec switch that will save the day?

thanks in advance,
jim aka the wrooster

ps: sorry for the cross post into two forums but i figured there were more dual-sporters here in the wr400/426/450 forum... the original 250f forum post, if you want to keep all of the replies in one place, is at:
http://www.thumperta...=10&t=005879&p=

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted July 02, 2002 - 02:59 PM

I can solve your problem for like $5. Go to radio shack and buy a 3 way toggle switch. Wire power to the center pole. And the 2 filiments of the bulb to the other two poles. Mount the switch to the handlebar clamp with a flat strip of metal. It aint pretty but its HI/lo.

My bike just passed inspection and is now street legal doing this.

• Pooley

Posted July 02, 2002 - 03:06 PM

Buy from Radio Shack a "Single pole, double throw" switch. Baja Designs also have switcheds but cost about $15. Keep your existing headlight switch and use it as a master switch. Then wire the power from the headlight switch to the new 3 position switch. If you have removed your stock odometer, flip the mounting bracket and mount the 3 position switch through the hole in the bracket. It will be nearly invisible, can't get bumped and is reasonable to get to. I can take pics and email them to you if you wish.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.