Yfz, Yzf

5 replies to this topic
  • finthat

Posted November 24, 2008 - 02:36 PM

Dumb question from a thumper newbie are the cases the same on both 450's ATV and Bike? Can you use the atv cases on a bike using the same bike internals, crank, bearings ect.??

• tdamore

Posted November 24, 2008 - 03:09 PM

You did not post a year, but after looking at parts list for 2004 for both models my answer would be no.

• grayracer513

Posted November 24, 2008 - 03:38 PM

They are not. The YZ450F uses one crankcase from '03-'05 and another from '06-'09. Both of these are different than the cases in a WR450, of which there are also two. The YFZ quads are different than either of these. There is some interchangeability among the engines, but it varies quite a bit, and is mostly between the WR and YFZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • finthat

Posted November 25, 2008 - 07:21 AM

Thanks alot guys. Sorry for making the obvious no year mistake. Its an 2003 yz450f with a hole in the bottom of both halfs. I have a chance to buy one for cheap but just want to make sure that if I want to fix it that the parts wont kill me. I am looking for used cases and there is a pile of yfz cases on ebay. I may just part it out as well. I am also assuming the '03 is a good bike over all??

• grayracer513

Posted November 25, 2008 - 09:21 AM

Cases from a YZ450F, '03-'05 will fit yours, but not any others. If you have ever entertained the idea of having a wide ratio 5 speed, or more power for lights, cases or a complete lower end/trans from a WR might be an approach to take. The cases won't work without several of the WR components to go with it, though.

Have you thought of getting yours repaired (welded/machined)?

• finthat

Posted November 26, 2008 - 06:40 AM

Thanks grayracer. I haven't bought this bike just yet but am pretty close. Just waiting to get some pics of the hole in the cases before I make the 6hr drive to get the bike. I have been buying and fixing riding blown or worn out cr500's for a couple years now as sort of a hobby. This will be the first four stroke I will own and try to bring back from the dead. Figure might as well update my skills and try a new challange.

Need to hear a different sound when I twist the throttle I guess.
If possible I would prefer to have them welded. I have a great aluminum welder just up the road from me.

Thanks again and thumbs up to your Marine.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.