Head Gasket

9 replies to this topic
  • CuLayTur

Posted January 22, 2003 - 07:57 AM

I've just finished a complete top end rebuilt on my bike listed below and now a small oil leak has developed. The leak is coming from the lefthand side bolts that are turned upside down, the front one to be specific. I did have the cylinder decked but not the head, my bad, maybe.... Is there any other reason that a leak could develop in this location? I'm trying to look at other possiblities before tearing the engine back down and checking the head for warpage.. Does the gasket need anything special applied, like a contact sealer or RTV or just dry and torquing?

Thanks,
Curt

• BEAN329

Posted January 22, 2003 - 06:38 PM

sounds like the cyl work may not have been done right. maybe milling of cyl not done square. did you use OEM gaskets going back together ???. were all gasket surfaces clean of oil and grease. ???. you may have to remove head and check cyl with a straight edge. also recheck your torque of the bolts.

• CuLayTur

Posted January 23, 2003 - 12:21 PM

The cylinder was sent off for a boring and replating, and they did the resurfacing. But, I did the head work myself, and forgot to resurface the head... Yes, used new gaskets, but I did find where the Cam chain was rubbing against the head, from being worn, and caused a small raised area along the flat surface of the head...That maybe the cause...

Thanks for the help.

Curt

• MarkInOhio

Posted January 23, 2003 - 12:43 PM

but I did find where the Cam chain was rubbing against the head, from being worn, and caused a small raised area along the flat surface of the head...That maybe the cause...

I think you have the answer your question.

• CuLayTur

Posted January 24, 2003 - 06:37 AM

I just reassembled the engine last night for the third time, and it's still leaking. I did resurface the head on a sheet of glass with 600 grit sandpaper, just to clean it up. This thing is starting to piss me off... Do you need to treat the gasket with any material like permatex or copper coating before reassembly? I called the company that performed the boring and replating, and they suggested that I treat the gasket, then reassemble... I wouldn't think you would need to, but you never know.
Also, this problem of leaking started BEFORE I attempted the rebuild, in the same location.

Thanks,
Curt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pcrable

Posted January 24, 2003 - 07:14 AM

Sounds like you could have some clogged oil passages...

Anyone out there know the path that the oil takes to drain out of the head ? Anyone know if there are any internal screens that could be clogged and need cleaned ?

• Hick

Posted January 24, 2003 - 07:33 AM

Anyone out there know the path that the oil takes to drain out of the head ? Anyone know if there are any internal screens that could be clogged and need cleaned ?

It just runs down the cam chain into the cases.

The only screens are one on the return pump pickup, and one in the bottom of the frame reservoir.

BTW I use Copper Coat on my head gaskets, but I kind of doubt this will alleviate the problem. I can't decide if oil is running down the stud or the cam chain passage is somehow warped or misformed, allowing oil to escape.

It ain't like there is a constant oil level or pressure at the point where the oil is leaking out.

:D :)

• CuLayTur

Posted January 24, 2003 - 08:34 AM

I been kicking this around, and thinking back to the cam chain wearing on the head and cylinder. When I first disassemble the engine, I noticed the cam chain was very loose and scared the alumimun pretty good. I also noticed the head gasket does not completely cover the head out to the cam chain passage. When the oil comes from the cam area, and down the chain passage, could it be pooling where the gasket does not meet the chain passage? Could I build up the gasket with some liquid gasket material in that area? And what type liquid could I use?

Thanks,
Curt

• MarkInOhio

Posted January 24, 2003 - 08:47 AM

Is it possible that you (or someone else previously) left out one of the dowel pins when assembling? This could result in improper head alignment? Just a guess.

The dowel pins (poor name IMO) are actually hollow tubes that the head bolts go through. They go between the head and the cylinder.

• CuLayTur

Posted January 24, 2003 - 10:14 AM

I know the pins you are talking about. Good thought, but I did install those pins extactly where they should go. They helped line up the gasket and the head when I last installed.

Curt

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.