Weepping hole - water pump

5 replies to this topic
  • refael

Posted November 24, 2008 - 11:36 AM

My wr450 2007 is having new problam of weepping hole below the water pump. i understood that it means that the water seal is wrong.
can i replace only the outer one without removing the side cover? is it possible to remove the impaler without holding the shaft intenal side?

• Dube2

Posted November 24, 2008 - 01:00 PM

not totally sure about the 07, but can't be too much different than the 05. I did mine and had to remove the side cover. Since I went through so much work, I replace every seal on that side. Not too bad, about 3-hours and $25 total parts. Clean off the bench, put the bike on the kickstand, grab a beer and put the boob toob on FUEL TV.

It's fun working on the bikes. Take your time.:bonk:

• refael

Posted November 25, 2008 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt4x4

Posted November 25, 2008 - 04:44 AM

I've heard of people just replacing the outer (coolant) side seal, I wouldn't do it myself, but it is possible - just drill 2 small holes in it and thread in two small screws so you can pull it straight out using pliers.
The coolant side wears faster because coolant isn't as good a lubricant as oil - the oil seal wears less because it it lubed by oil.

• refael

Posted November 28, 2008 - 05:03 AM

Done it two days ago. the water seal came out easly. 10 min work.
ride it today - like new.
all, thanks for the help.

• jandmsuburban7

Posted December 03, 2008 - 06:45 PM

Yes what they said, you can also put a wrench on the crank to hold while getting impeller off. Make sure there are no burrs. Use Engine Ice after you rinse the whole system out and then your seal wont get so hot and fail you. These bikes run hot and the Engine Ice fixes that issue. You can search the threads - even mine for more info on this. Jason

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.