Starter Relay Problems

3 replies to this topic
  • nostromo

Posted November 24, 2008 - 06:21 AM

Hi Guys, when re jetting (taking the bike apart) my new WR450f 2008, I think i have damaged the starter relay, when disconecting the wiring to take the rear frame off i thought I had to disconnect the relay, I couldn't although i think i might have cracked it or something. When i put the bike back together it turns over at less than half speed and wont start.. I have ordered a relay ( twice the price here than in the States..) but still cant get the old one off.. The whole thing moves when you try to undo the bolts, scared stiff of breaking anything else..
Anyone took one off?? Please tell me how.

• nostromo

Posted December 03, 2008 - 06:38 AM

Well fitted new relay eventually and guess what.. No difference, starter still turns over real slow.. not enough to start bike, tried booster cables from car etc, no diffrence.. anyone had similar problems??? PLEASE>>

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhmotard

Posted December 03, 2008 - 07:33 AM

if it was a bad relay i dont think the bike would even attempt to start.

is your battery low?? trickle-charge the battery first

• WR_Dave

Posted December 03, 2008 - 07:33 AM

It sounds like you have a poor electrical connection somewhere. You may have to go through all the connections and grounds and make sure they are clean and tight. Sometimes a bit of corrosion gets in there from washing and it will ruin the electrical path. Also make sure the battery is fully charged. If these little batteries are quick charged they can be easily damaged. Does the bike start OK with the kick starter?. I recommend always doing at least the first start of the day with the kicker, after that the starter will usually work on a warm engine. WR Dave.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.