backfire screen

4 replies to this topic
  • desdave

Posted November 23, 2008 - 05:18 PM

Like the last couple of 4 strokes I've had, my new wr450 has a wire screen in the air filter cage. Theory is that it will stop a backfire thru the carb from catching the filter on fire (never actually heard of anyone having this happen). On my previous hondas, common practice was to remove the screen as it was felt to be restrictive. Anyone doing the same on the WRs? Any opinions on performance gain? BTW, the cage from the 2 stroke YZs are exactly the same except without the screen, so it's an easier fix than on the hondas.

• Matt James

Posted November 23, 2008 - 08:47 PM

I doubt there is much to gain on a Wr by removing it. I did watch a 450 honda burn to the ground from a backfire. He removed the screen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted November 23, 2008 - 09:35 PM

I removed the screen from my 450, and I couldn't tell any difference when tested back to back a few times with the filter assy from my 250.

• desdave

Posted November 23, 2008 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the replys. The screen looks pretty free flowing, unlike the setup on my previous xrs.

• Mutu

Posted November 23, 2008 - 09:58 PM

Yeah, from what I've read, it only makes a difference on the honda's.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.