Valve adjustment problems

5 replies to this topic
  • slider91129

Posted November 23, 2008 - 04:31 PM

I was checking the valves on my WR426 and I can't get 2 of the buckets housing the shims out. 3 came out fine and the last 2 rotate freely but will not come up. Any ideas? Thanks

• seehogs

Posted November 23, 2008 - 06:53 PM

Probably worn a groove in the carrier. Try using propane torch to quickly heat up the carrier around the buckets and tap them out from the top with a piece of plastic. You should measure all of this with micrometer to verify wear.

• Mutu

Posted November 23, 2008 - 09:41 PM

Probably worn a groove in the carrier. Try using propane torch to quickly heat up the carrier around the buckets and tap them out from the top with a piece of plastic. You should measure all of this with micrometer to verify wear.

Nah man, waste of time.

Just use long nose pliers to get a grip on the caps to lift them up. :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scott_h

Posted November 23, 2008 - 10:06 PM

The buckets should always come out smoothly using a magnet. The only stuck ones I have seen were due to the cam bearing journals being severly worn. The damage can have a mushroom affect that will obstruct the bucket bores and not allow the bucket to be removed until you clean up the worn material. If this is the case, a good machine shop should be able to refurbish the head for you.

Good luck,
Scott

• phoo

Posted November 24, 2008 - 09:46 AM

Ah, yeah. Magnet. :bonk: I did like Mutu and just used needlenose pliers with teeth very carefully so I didn't scratch anything. I figure the bucket is extremely hard metal.

Next time I'll grab a magnet.

~Patrick

• Mutu

Posted November 25, 2008 - 03:04 AM

Yeah, the bucket is really hard and durable. You won't be able to scratch it. It's the oil that makes them stick.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.