How do you know if you hurt your knee to the point of having a Doc look at it?

28 replies to this topic
  • condor74

Posted November 22, 2008 - 06:07 PM

Today I was riding and feeling pretty good when going slowly I gave it gas hard to start a run up at a hill climb and the bike looped out. It layed down on its right hand side twisting my right foot under the bike. It twisted all the way around and I felt a pop. I flopped off the seat and spun around to my stomach so it was no longer twisted. I managed to get the bike shut off and walk around a bit. A little bit of pain on the inside of the knee joint but no noticeable limp. I rode for another 30 minutes or so before heading back home. I noticed when I grip the bike with my knees I have a little pain in the right knee. If I let it sit it stiffens up a bit but after walking a bit the limp goes away again.. I would just shrug it off as a minor deal except I still remember feeling that pop when it twisted around. What should I do...Wait and see or am I gonna wind up at the doc for this?

• DrMark

Posted November 22, 2008 - 06:17 PM

The chances of a torn ACL are about 80%.

• condor74

Posted November 22, 2008 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for the quick replay. How fast should I be heading to a doctor for this?? I have a mad busy week ahead of me with work and Thanksgiving. Family all coming into town. After Thanksgiving I will be able to go in for sure. Any advise is much appreciated.

• DrMark

Posted November 23, 2008 - 12:48 AM

Its not like a heart attack.
Ride the stationary bike one hour per day, every day.
See the doc whien its possible.
Start learning about the ACL
http://sandersclinic.net/aclrehab.html

• condor74

Posted November 23, 2008 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the link. I was doing research on my knee and ligaments. It is much stiffer this morning and after getting up and moving around it does loosen up. I dont have a stationary bike but I did take my 20 inch bmx bike for a ride around the block. The pain area that I am feeling is on the inside of my right knee. It is in a spot about 2 inches long and tender to the touch. I dont feel any instability in the knee. When I bend my knee it hurts at about the 45 degree part...Full strait or bent 90 degrees or more pain goes away. Looking at pictures It looks like MCL possibly. I know I am no doc and I will go in just curious as to weather MCL is a possibility at all and if so is the prognosses any better

• DrMark

Posted November 23, 2008 - 12:01 PM

keep riding!

• condor74

Posted November 23, 2008 - 05:31 PM

When you say keep riding I assume you mean the bike not the dirtbike....lol...I just blew 20 dollars at Kiaser about an hour ago for the doc there to tell me exactly nothing...The doc said they didnt think anything was bone related broken so they didnt want to do X rays......I can tell you it is nothing bone related. I can hop on one foot on that leg with no pain...just hurts to bend it. The only thing she did say was that the area of the pain was consistant with an MCL pull/sprain/tear.....(dont they all mean the same thing basically)....They said if I come back in a week they could do an MRI...There is very little if any swelling. I wish I could switch my provider to blue cross but I have to wait for open enrollement at my work. They did give me a soft brace to wear. Doesnt feel like it does much but did cost me another 20 dollars...I suppose a lighter wallet will help with the knee being able to support my body.

• DrMark

Posted November 23, 2008 - 05:40 PM

a doc in the box is always a waste of good money.
Head a pop.......torn ACL.

• pattmatters

Posted November 23, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Condor, do you do any other activities other than your bike and your dirt bike? last spring break I had an accident snowboarding and ended up tearing my ACL. The big give away for me was when I tried to play basketball, I use my knee as usual, but it would totally give out, and hurt, not to mention it is really scary not to be able to trust your legs. I hate to say it, but your symptoms are very similar to mine. Very stiff in the morning, can't bend it past a certain point, much less with weight on it... on the inside of my right knee in the back kinda.. hope it works out alright. The good part is that the surgery is much more advanced than it used to be. I was in and out the same day, and actually walked out.. kinda ( I was pretty drugged up). I had my surgery on a thurs and was back to class on monday.. keep us posted.

• condor74

Posted November 23, 2008 - 08:23 PM

I have other activities. I ride skateboards, play ice hockey. I actually hardly ever ride the bike but i was trying to get it to loosen up a bit. My pain is on the inside towards the front. I can put weight on it and the knee doesnt feel week. I just have pain at 45 degree angle...None before and none after...I can sit indian style no problem I can sit strait legged no problem...I can move my leg normally but with pain. Knee doesnt feel to buckle sideways at all. Honestly with out the pain I think I would still trust it to plant and pivot on it. I probably did damage my acl like doc mark said. I am just hoping that maybe I didnt lol....I know good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MTMX178

Posted November 23, 2008 - 08:26 PM

I gotta say, I don't think it's a torn ACl. I tore my ACL last week and there was no way I could put any sort of weight on it. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced. I would take a broken arm, ankle, rib or dislocated shoulder over that pain any day.

Posted November 23, 2008 - 08:34 PM

after killing my knees racing i had ortho surgery which was unreal once they were healed but i would suggest getting yourself some knee braces soon , and i feel for ya with knee problems life changes with major aches and pains and now mine feel great and I try to keep them that way (try) LOL oh and as for pain i'll agree with ya MTMX178 a blow knee is extremly painful

• condor74

Posted November 23, 2008 - 08:39 PM

I was wondering about knee braces also. The what ifs. It was a really stupid crash. The ground was a little off camber and I just got on the gas at the wrong time causing the bike lay down. My right tow got pulled off the peg and aimed towards the back of the bike. so what caused the injury was a twist of the knee. If I had been wearing knee braces would I be writing a story about a dislocated or broken ankle?? when the leg gets twisted around backwards something has to give. I hope you are right mtmx178. for the record I can hop up and down on my right leg just cant bend it wout out pain...

Posted November 23, 2008 - 08:56 PM

what i found was now i had injured knee's the littlest twist would blow it out nows the time for braces to help out with that bad knee or it will be all down hill from here imo ,been there done that got the t shirt !! LOL

• pattmatters

Posted November 23, 2008 - 09:41 PM

after I got a new ACL I asked my doctor about wearing braces when I was doing things that would stress my knees. He told me not to wear braces. From what I gathered, he said that your knees are basically like muscle. The more you work and stress them ( to a certain degree) the stronger they will be.... which I thought made sense. When I tore my ACL, it was the beginning of a four day snowboarding trip at park city. After it happened on the first day, I was done. I was able to snowboard the other three days though. I think I killed a few bottles of IB-profin, but it was definitely not the worst pain Ive felt.....

• schrode

Posted November 23, 2008 - 10:05 PM

definitly torn acl. I've done both and it sounds friggin textbook. only a partial for now so be careful, low impact but use it like on the bike and even sqatting. i would even question getting an mri because you know it's most likely torn. fix it before full rupture because then it's way more painful and difficult recovery.

• DrMark

Posted November 24, 2008 - 05:24 AM

70% of ACL injuries hear a pop
85% have much swelling and can't continue in sports that day
15% have minimal swelling and continue their day's event

One has to have a high index of suspiscion.
Off road riding leads to ACL tears, scafoid fractures, and collar bone fractures. Its the nature of the sport.

• DrMark

Posted November 24, 2008 - 05:27 AM

definitly torn acl. I've done both and it sounds friggin textbook. only a partial for now so be careful, low impact but use it like on the bike and even sqatting. i would even question getting an mri because you know it's most likely torn. fix it before full rupture because then it's way more painful and difficult recovery.

The best way to diagnose an ACL tear is with the physical examination and a KT-1000 examination. Most docs aren't so good at these skills. Hence the MRI has become popular. I usually reccommend that people not within driving distance to my clinic get an MRI. For patients that I personally examine, its almost never necessary to diagnose the torn ACL.

• bork

Posted November 24, 2008 - 06:43 AM

My MRI shows mine to be stretched. Looks like a thread. Try this; When I stand on one foot of good leg & raise my bad knee side, foot, & rub it against calf of good leg. (As if scratchin an itch on inside calf with inside of foot from bad leg.) Or ( kinda like scraping dog poop off the arch of bad knee's foot against your good knee's inside calf) Try it with pressure. It hurts! the bad knee, pain, is inside of bad knee towards front a little. If I do the opposite legs, no pain. my .02, for what its worth.

• ThatsA5

Posted November 24, 2008 - 06:51 AM

The best way to diagnose an ACL tear is with the physical examination and a KT-1000 examination. Most docs aren't so good at these skills. Hence the MRI has become popular. I usually reccommend that people not within driving distance to my clinic get an MRI. For patients that I personally examine, its almost never necessary to diagnose the torn ACL.

Funny you should say that...My 1st opinion ordered an MRI. That MRI showed that I had only a meniscus tear and the ACL looked fine. I didnt like that Doc(workers comp had me see him 1st) and went to a different Ortho Doc that is highly regarded in our area . During my office exam with him he pulled on my lower leg and said.."You have a torn ACL too". He never saw the MRI's and he was right.

He said that an MRI was simply a snapshot in time. How come the ACL was not apparent on the MRI?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Serious about health & fitness? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

how much weight can your LRP lose? by jeffjcalweb

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

CRF250L- 1, Dog- 0 by razorbill

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Stretch before or after excercise? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 9 replies
Wiki
Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact - last post by Jason Raines

Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.