Dirtbikes tall

14 replies to this topic
  • quadman44

Posted November 22, 2008 - 05:15 PM

ok, I went and sat on some bikes yesterday. Sat on the WR...I am almost 6 foot tall. My tip toes touched!! I asked the guy if there is a way to drop an inch to two...he said "we have some TTs over here..". Why are then soo tall??

• flyer05

Posted November 22, 2008 - 05:25 PM

Bumps need suspension. Short travel would be a harsh ride and unforgiving. You will get used to it. I had the same initial impression but got used to it quickly.

• Baja trail Rider

Posted November 22, 2008 - 05:55 PM

Im onlly 5-10 dont worry after 10 houres on the bike it will be so low you will crank it up (the race sag)

• C-P

Posted November 22, 2008 - 09:22 PM

You need all the ground clearance and travel you can get. Don't pick a shorter bike just because it seems more comfortable when you're not moving...

• xjon

Posted November 22, 2008 - 10:23 PM

Went for a ride today on my new to me 99. Only problem I had was stopping and trying to get my foot down (toe, really). Im 5'8" on a good day. The ride was great, I just cant stop. I was jealous of the other riders who could flat foot it.

• doctorchopper

Posted November 23, 2008 - 05:30 AM

six feet tall, you would have no problem, stay away from tt's, very tame heavy bike

• AFJ7732W

Posted November 23, 2008 - 05:43 AM

I recently bought an WR450 for my 48th birthday, after a long time off. Yes, it's tall. I'm 5-10. But like the other guys say, you soon learn to manage. I fell over a few times at first, but that rarely happens anymore. I bash the skidplate occationally, so I really wouldn't want it much shorter. Great bike. Enjoy!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chevytrkn1

Posted November 23, 2008 - 07:16 AM

Im 5'6" and have been riding my whole life, Riding a 07 wr 450 now. You will be fine being 6 foot tall

• aussieklx

Posted November 23, 2008 - 07:28 PM

im 6'2" and have no problems getting on or off or balancing my 05 450f, you will have no problems once you get used to it. If your that worried i think there is lowering linkage sets that you can get, but you should not need them at 6'

• YamaLink

Posted November 24, 2008 - 10:15 AM

And maybe the sag wasn't set for your weight; could've added an extra inch or two to the height.

ok, I went and sat on some bikes yesterday. Sat on the WR...I am almost 6 foot tall. My tip toes touched!! I asked the guy if there is a way to drop an inch to two...he said "we have some TTs over here..". Why are then soo tall??

• Charles De Mar

Posted November 24, 2008 - 10:33 AM

5'-8" and no lowering link on mine!

• Kalamazoo

Posted November 24, 2008 - 11:18 AM

5'-8" and no lowering link on mine!

Same here 5’ 7 ½”, stopping and going is no problem but when I need to kick start that can be a bitch.

• Charles De Mar

Posted November 24, 2008 - 11:56 AM

Same here 5’ 7 ½”, stopping and going is no problem but when I need to kick start that can be a bitch.

Yep I have ant legs and rely on my e-start. I need some billet leg extenders.:bonk:

• Birdy426

Posted November 24, 2008 - 01:00 PM

5-7 on a good day. I ride an 01 426 with big bore and high compression. Starting can be a bitch on flat ground of slight slope. I have developed an uncaany sense of finding any berm, rock, puckerbush, or other geological protruberance that allows me to get that left foot down flat while trying to start the bike. I typically drop 2-3 times EVERY time out because I go to put my foot down and there's no "down" to be found. It's always when stopped, so the bike really doesn't get damaged, and after a while, your riding buddies learn to expect it and it just doesn't seem that funny any more...

• Charles De Mar

Posted November 24, 2008 - 01:48 PM

5-7 on a good day. I ride an 01 426 with big bore and high compression. Starting can be a bitch on flat ground of slight slope. I have developed an uncaany sense of finding any berm, rock, puckerbush, or other geological protruberance that allows me to get that left foot down flat while trying to start the bike. I typically drop 2-3 times EVERY time out because I go to put my foot down and there's no "down" to be found. It's always when stopped, so the bike really doesn't get damaged, and after a while, your riding buddies learn to expect it and it just doesn't seem that funny any more...

:lol:I'm glad I'm not the only one:lol: I have learned not to rely on putting my foot down and just ride it out. Or fall:lol:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.