Ready SS oil filter cover

9 replies to this topic
  • siscokid7

Posted November 22, 2008 - 02:37 PM

Does anyone here run it? I installed mine last night and went for a ride today. A small bead of oil started leaking from around the billet cover. The ready filter only has one opening and I assumed it goes on the same way a stock filter does. But I am not sure. My dealer doesnt know either. So I switched it to see if it would run on the opposite side. Again after about 2 minutes it started leaking again. I took the o-ring out and cleaned the groove on the cover and the face of the oil filter plate and reinstalled. It ran at idle for about 4 minutes then leaked. I cant tighten the billet cover any further and I dont want to damage the bike. Any suggestions? The cover is nice but I cant return it unless it is defective for some reason, but it looks fine. :bonk:

• Holeshot12

Posted November 22, 2008 - 03:42 PM

You will need to call them and ask them to send you an over sized "O" ring. I have used these for years and every time I need to ask them for an over sized "O" ring.

• siscokid7

Posted November 22, 2008 - 05:10 PM

You will need to call them and ask them to send you an over sized "O" ring. I have used these for years and every time I need to ask them for an over sized "O" ring.

Thats it!! Thanks alot! :bonk:

• Family Man

Posted November 22, 2008 - 05:33 PM

I would use the stocker. Like Grey has said in the past. The stocker has a tab so you dont put in the filter backwards.

• siscokid7

Posted November 22, 2008 - 05:36 PM

I would use the stocker. Like Grey has said in the past. The stocker has a tab so you dont put in the filter backwards.

Yeah I did notice that. I talked to my neighbor and he said the SS filter goes in the same way as the stock one. I do like the tab, but I gave my stock cover to my brother in law already. :bonk: So now I gotta use the ready cover. Oh well. It looks trick and hopefully with the new O-ring it should work fine now.:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nap__kxf

Posted November 22, 2008 - 06:22 PM

both my dad and i run the ready ss filters and covers on our 06 and 07 and they are fine for us and we used the oem o-ring. maybe yours got warped somehow, call up ready and ask for a replacement.

• 642MX

Posted November 22, 2008 - 07:28 PM

I have Ready SS filters in both bikes, both leaked on the first ride. I emailed RR and they told me to send them back for replacements. I decided it wasn't worth the shipping that they won't compensate me for. I slapped the stockers back on.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted November 22, 2008 - 08:11 PM

To the left of the bottom bolt mine doesn't cover as much as the stock cover. But it doesn't leak

• NortonMoto

Posted January 25, 2009 - 02:18 AM

I installed SS oil filter cover and the dam thing leaks And I can't find my stock cover to put back on, Too bad I didn't read this thread first because I would of never bought it!

• intensem1rider

Posted January 25, 2009 - 12:32 PM

Mine leaks too, I put some silicone in the o-ring grove, let it cure for an hour, the re-installed the o-ring and installed on the bike , it doesn't leak anymore. This is my 2nd cover from them, the first one had a leak around a freeze plug they use to plug a hole they needed to drill in manufacturing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.