Which Rotella oil for MX

9 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted November 21, 2008 - 03:03 PM

I have a 06 yamaha 450f with 74.3 hours on it now. I have just done one topend on it since i bought it new and it was done at 50 hours.

Nothing was wore and the valves didnt need much adjustment. I will go to about 120 hours before i do the top again.

My question is? I use amsoil mcf 10-40 and change it after every race weekend (2 classes-4 mottos) plus a few laps of practices that morning.

I just want a cheaper oil that is easier to get. Since I change the amsoil after every race I might as well switch to a cheaper oil.

Which Rotella oil is best used for racing that I could change after every race weekend.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2008 - 03:29 PM

None of them. Either Rotella will be a 30 wt oil by the end of the 2nd moto. Stay with the Amsoil and change it every other race day. The quart of Amsoil should only be costing you $7.50 or so, anyway.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted November 21, 2008 - 03:35 PM

So in reality Iam changing the amsoil to soon? I could actual practice on saturday before the race (which I could get about 9 laps in) and race sunday two classes (which would be 4 mottos) and then on monday change the oil.

I like amsoil and how it performs but I guess I was just changeing it to much. I will go at least 2 and a half hours now before changing it.

Would that be more reasonable?

• Slinkyman16

Posted November 21, 2008 - 03:39 PM

i usually go 2 practice days and 1 desert ride.. or 2 practice days and 1 race day.. amsoil holds up extrmemly well..

also go pay amsoil 20 bucks and become a perferred member and get the stuff at wholesale. it will save u in the long run...

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2008 - 03:40 PM

How long are your motos?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted November 21, 2008 - 04:05 PM

How long are your motos?

Usually about 15 or 20 mins. I just renewed my perfered customer to amsoil and ordered me another case just now. I believe i will go a little longer between oil changes. BTW the order added up to $110.75 for a case of MCF 10w-40. I believe this was a little too much. I renewed my prefered customer on a seperate page that all ready had my info on it. I hope they will see that !

• 642MX

Posted November 21, 2008 - 04:36 PM

Rotella 15W40 will be fine. I've used it for years with no problems. I change mine after every ride, 30 minutes or 8 hours.... when the ride is over the oil gets changed.

I'm sure Amsoil is the best oil, (or at least the most talked about oil), but 100's of people use Rotella and I haven't read of one oil related failure from using it.

• gtxkid

Posted November 21, 2008 - 05:19 PM

I talk to Bob at Pro Circut and he explained that you change oil at every 8 hours to get the contaminants out. 4 stroke's have filters.
no need to run an expencive oil or any type of synth. when your changing it every 8 hours. OH and it doesn't break down.

• aggiemoto99

Posted November 21, 2008 - 06:37 PM

I talk to Bob at Pro Circut and he explained that you change oil at every 8 hours to get the contaminants out. 4 stroke's have filters.
no need to run an expencive oil or any type of synth. when your changing it every 8 hours. OH and it doesn't break down.

Oils break down....but it's typically from the transmission.

and wear is also usually the contaminants....sadly the dirtbike filters dont filter well enough to eliminate all wear....

I run amsoil, and it seems good for me, but I do think oil is oil ultimately....you can run the shell if you want, I don't think it's half as good an oil, but if you change it frequently it doesn't really matter....

The oil debate sucks and will start haha, but because SOO many people run SOO many different oils, I think that means they all work.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2008 - 07:19 PM

Usually about 15 or 20 mins.

So, then you are changing out the oil at about 1.5 hours. Rotella will probably last that long. Amsoil MCF will go a lot longer than that.

4 stroke's have filters.

Wrong, by actual test. If we were talking about just an engine, it would be fairly accurate, but...

Oils break down....it's typically from the transmission.

Exactly.

Oil gets the ability to behave as if it's a 10wt when it's cold and a 40wt when it's hot (which is what "10w-40" means) from taking a 10 wt oil and adding to it certain synthetic polymers that form long, bulky molecules when heated, but curl up tightly when cold. They are pretty tough when they are cold, but when hot, most of the less expensive ones are fairly fragile, and the transmission simply shreds them. You end up with a 10w-25 in just a few hours time. Test it. I dare you.

But there are tougher polymers available that are mostly used to create multi grade gear lubes. They cost more, so most blebders of automotive engine oils don't use them. Their target market doesn't need them.

But motorcycles with transmissions sharing the engine oil do. Amsoil MCF & MCV uses these, as does Mobil 1 Racing 4T & V-Twin, most of the better Maxima oils, Golden Spectro 4, and some others. Rotella and such are probably at least the near equal of any of these in terms of out of the bottle lube abilities, but they have an inability to retain their viscosity for as long as 4 hours (often much less), never mind 8.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.