cold starting

12 replies to this topic
  • jws

Posted January 21, 2003 - 10:56 AM

i have a xr650r takes 50 kicks or more when cold to get it to start. once warm it will one kick start all day. before i uncorked it and did the smog block off kit it started two kicks when cold. new intake hrc tip with bd quiet baffle 172 main 68s pilot hrc needle 3rd clip. anything i could of done wrong to cause this start problem? please help!!!!

ps i had a xr600r for 5years always started 1 or 2 kicks hot or cold unless i dumped it then i would do the 10 kick wot comp release and it would start every time. :)

thanks jeff

Posted January 21, 2003 - 12:47 PM

is your choke on, i find in cold weather i have to move the lever all the way to the front, warmer days the middle works better for the first start, after its running just like you it fires first kick unless i have drop it also un plug your front light for the first kick of the day, some one told me it helps get more spark to the plug.

• TwinSparXR

Posted January 21, 2003 - 02:26 PM

When I drain the carb then turn the gass back on, mine will start better when it's cold. Sometimes I will lay it on it's side for about 10-15 seconds, after turning the gass off then turn it back on with the choke full on then kick like normal.

• loufish

Posted January 21, 2003 - 06:02 PM

I turn on the gas, choke in "hi" position, pull in comp. release, kick 3 times, release comp. lever, get on TDC, and kick like it owes me money...starts every time for kick. :)

• FooBarr

Posted January 21, 2003 - 07:13 PM

If the thing sits in your garage for awhile between rides try this:
Choke Full on
Gas on
Tip it 45 degrees till you see gas dribble out of the carb
Kick it through 5 times with the compression release and WOT
Find TDC
squeeze the compression release and let go
Kick it like it's Usama

I can usually start mine in 1-2 kicks and this was how I used to start my XR600 with a 628 kit.

• rice111

Posted January 23, 2003 - 06:54 PM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jws

Posted January 24, 2003 - 07:14 AM

i think i just need to buy a house on a hill,then i wont have to kick it over when it is cold. :)

• Dutch

Posted January 24, 2003 - 07:18 AM

When mine won't start I have to be carefull not to float the valves when I kick it.

• qadsan

Posted January 24, 2003 - 08:43 AM

Here's a couple things to check out in addition to the excellent advice others have offered...

1) Make sure you're using fresh fuel. It only takes a few weeks before some fuels begin to gum or varnish. If you're going to keep the same fuel in your bike for a month or more, make sure to use a fuel stabilizer. Please note that fuel stabilizers will only work on fresh fuel and adding it to stale fuel will do little or nothing. Make sure to drain the float bowl if you're not going to be riding your bike for more than a week. There's a drain screw on the float
bowl to make this easy.

2) Make sure the vent tubes on the carb are NOT plugged up in anyway (very important).

3) Install a fresh spark plug.

4) Adjust your valves to spec. This can make a big difference on how easy or hard your bike starts if they're out of adustment.

5) Adjust your decompressor. After you adjust your valves, you must comfirm that your decompressor is within spec and make any adjustments if necessary.

6) Inspect and clean your carb internally with either carb cleaner or WD40. Make sure your jets are tight. WD40 is a great carb cleaner and the WD40 spray tube works great to spray out the jets and passages. Sometimes small piece of varnish or particles of dirt can clog a jet or interfere with the float needles seat, etc.

• bleedblue

Posted January 24, 2003 - 03:09 PM

I owned a 93 XR 600 and the winters in MT. are pretty cold. The best way my friends and I found to start a cold bike was to pull the plug and heat it for a few seconds with a torch. The bikes always started right up after heating the plug. Don't know if it's hard on the plug but I still do it to start my Yamaha in cold weather.

• jws

Posted January 28, 2003 - 12:43 AM

hey thanks everyone who responded!

my new technique for cold starting is........

turn on gas
choke all the way on
pull in comp. release
kick 5 times (no throttle)
let go of comp. release
find tdc
pull in comp.release
go 1/2 inch past tdc
let go of comp. release
then kick it.......
start first kick every time....................

thanks again for everyones help :) :D :D

• FooBarr

Posted January 28, 2003 - 03:36 PM

Hey Rice-aroni 111,
Last time I saw him, Jesus was riding RED!

• Rokatt88

Posted January 28, 2003 - 03:58 PM

YeaH Rice! Put...The..Crack...Pipe...Down... :)

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.