Bigger tank IMS or Clarke?

8 replies to this topic
  • jws

Posted January 21, 2003 - 10:39 AM

I would like to get at least a 100 miles to a tank.
I am looking at the IMS 4.6 or Clarke 4.2 is one better
than the other in quality? anything else i need to know
about either one?

thanks jeff

• Rokatt88

Posted January 21, 2003 - 01:41 PM

Hi JWS, I ride with a couple of other Pig Riders. They got the IMS 3.2 tank. It is a good tank, looks good & good fit and finish. I was going to get one of those too. Then one day out at Lake Morena we came across a group of riders. One guy had a Clarke 4.3. We put the IMS 3.2 tanked XR next to the Clarke 4.3 tanked XR. The 4.3 is just a little bit wider and IMHO looks a tad cooler. Fit and finish are great. Now, the IMS 4.6 IMHO is Butt Ugly, :) but hey, that's just my opinion and my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

• FooBarr

Posted January 21, 2003 - 07:03 PM

Got the Clarke 4.2 and no gripes. Good value for the $.

• jws

Posted January 23, 2003 - 06:39 PM

anyone with the big IMS tank

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rice111

Posted January 23, 2003 - 06:49 PM

GET THE BIGGEST GAS TANK YOU CAN FIND MONEY IS NO OBJECT THAT WAY I CAN BORROW GAS FROM YOU

• Rokatt88

Posted January 24, 2003 - 06:31 AM

There aren't any 'cause they're too Butt Ugly! Get the Acerbies Umpty Gallon Tank. That looks twice as good as the IMS Goblin Tank (4.6)! :)

Have a Great Ridin' Weekend My Thumper Bud's. :D

• jws

Posted January 24, 2003 - 06:43 AM

ill get the clarke! it was my fist choice, i just wanted to here what others had to say. funny that no one likes the 4.6 IMS.

thanks everyone. jeff :)

• qadsan

Posted January 24, 2003 - 06:45 PM

I like my Clarke 4.3 :)

The only issues with the Clarke 4.3 is that your seat will have a small wrinkle in it where it climbs up the tank and you've got to tip the bike to one side to get all the fuel out of it, but I'd buy it again. A 100 miles is no problemo with the Clarke 4.3 and you don't have to fill it full if you don't want to. The red color matches the Honda red very well, but they also have a natural color that allows you to see how much fuel you have in the tank. It bolted right up without any problems.

Clarke also sells their defective tanks and customer returns at a huge discount, but they don't have them very often and they won't put your name on a list to call you when they get one. You have to call them every so often and just hope they have one in stock when you call. I believe they sell these tanks for about $65 or so.

• colly

Posted January 25, 2003 - 02:51 AM

Acerbis do a rally tank for XR650. It's slim just in front of the saddle so you can still grip with your knees. Rear side mounted tanks gravity feed down into the main tank without need for a heavy fuel pump. The colour matches well and it looks good. Don't know the capacity but I've seen it used in rallies requiring a 230km (140 mile) minimum range in desert conditions.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.