CRF230L - Best rack?

12 replies to this topic
  • jckid

Posted November 20, 2008 - 02:53 PM

So I'm either going to get the billet rear rack that XR's Only is selling for the CRF230L or the Honda rack (which I assume is steel). Come spring time I plan on doing some overnight trips on the CRF. I will carry a tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, small duffle, and possibily even some extra gas. So I'm trying to decide which rack would work best.

The billet XR's Only rack looks wider than the Honda rack, so that might be an advantage, but I'm wondering if the Honda rack would carry more weight. Also, I may want to add a bracket to carry one of those flat Kolpin 1.5 gallon gas cans. I'm thinking it might be easier to mount it to the Honda rack than the XR's only rack--not sure.

I know some of you have these racks, so I would like to hear your input. Which rack do you think would best suit my needs?

• JJHACK

Posted November 20, 2008 - 11:04 PM

No contest, I had the honda rack on order for about 2 months. The XR's rack came first and between the two the XR's is an actual carry rack, the honda rack is just some bent pipes to put something on. It's not even good to bungie anything down. There are no functional hook points. Don't waste a penny on the honda rack. Mine went right back to the dealer!

• jckid

Posted November 21, 2008 - 12:19 PM

Since you've had both racks, maybe you can tell me about how each mounts. From the pics, is looks like they both use the two existing holes on the rear fender, but it looks like the Honda rack bolts somewhere to the frame, and the XR's Only rack bolts to the turn signal bracket.

I kind of like the looks of the XR's Only rack the best, but it looks like the Honda rack would work better with the Kolpin gas can mount. Also, I'm not sure if the aluminum one would hold up to the amount of weight I want to carry. Oh, and do you know if the Honda rack is chrome or painted silver? I saw something that said it was chrome, but the pics I've seen looks like silver paint, not chrome.

• JJHACK

Posted November 21, 2008 - 08:00 PM

The honda connects under the seat and the XR's connects at the turn signals Both use the two scres above the fender.

The honda is painted silver steel. The hondas in very small, and without any good lashdown points, IMO.

As far as packing a gas can..... hmmm?? I cannot sayI would strongly suggest you look into mountain bike saddle bags. They make a lot of great water resistant stuff. I lived in the Cascade mountains for 25 years and was a very dedicated mountain biker. We would get 90-120 inches of rain a year. That mountain bike gear works really well and it's a nice fit on this small Dual sport. Most of the Mototcycle bags are for the bigger Dual sports.

You can get the biggest stuff made for a Mtn Bike and it will fit and haul lots of things on the 230.

Personally I would not own the honda rack. However I'm not trying to pack 12 pounds of fuel on the rack either. I might just put a couple 1 liter gator aid bottles with fuel in there and call it good? I do wish they put a 4 gallon tank on this bike. In the western states you can be a long way between fuel. Especially where I live!

• wheelfun

Posted November 21, 2008 - 11:36 PM

There is also this rack.
I almost got it, but went with the xr's only--for better or worse.

• jckid

Posted November 22, 2008 - 06:32 PM

jjhack & wheelfun,

Hey, thanks for the info on the racks. You guys have me thinking that what I may need is two racks--The XR's Only rack for general riding, and the cycleracks.com rack for camping! I think the XR's Only rack is the best looking rack out there by far. The cycleracks.com one is definitely no beauty :bonk: , but it sure looks like you could haul a lot of gear on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JJHACK

Posted November 22, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Volume yes Weight no. I would not put more then 25pounds on any of these racks and expect the connections to last on anything but pavement. This bike is just not designed with the frame and rack connections to handle much with these four bolt up points in my opinion.

• jckid

Posted November 22, 2008 - 09:05 PM

Volume yes Weight no. I would not put more then 25pounds on any of these racks and expect the connections to last on anything but pavement. This bike is just not designed with the frame and rack connections to handle much with these four bolt up points in my opinion.

Well the good news is that all of my camping equipment is ultralight backpacking gear, so while it takes up some space, it's really light. If I needed to carry extra gas, that would definitely add some weight, but I really wouldn't expect to carry more than 20-25 lbs. of gear for an overnight trip. I recently did a 3-night backpacking trip, and I only carried 18lbs. of gear, backpack included.

• 4jfarmer

Posted November 30, 2008 - 08:16 PM

yes the cylcler racks arnt the prettiest things but they sure do look functional and if your going to spend the money might as well get what you need to fit the bill! Personally that rack is just what I was looking for. lol Thanks for the info wheelfun

• byron555

Posted December 01, 2008 - 08:05 AM

+1 on these. I have one on my xr650l and it is fantastic. Holds a lot of gear, and the side bars work great for protection and picking up the bike in the event of a wipe out.

http://www.cyclerack...0L_Sizedjpg.jpg

• 4jfarmer

Posted December 05, 2008 - 02:40 PM

never thought of proctecton for the bike! thats good seeing how im barly off of training wheels! hahaha

• jefffoxsr

Posted December 05, 2008 - 04:02 PM

We need a link for the xrsonly rear rack. I can't find it on their web site.
Would you please provide a link to it or tell me what section it is in.

• jckid

Posted December 05, 2008 - 06:59 PM

We need a link for the xrsonly rear rack. I can't find it on their web site.
Would you please provide a link to it or tell me what section it is in.

http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=77

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF230F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF230F 2015
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda CRF230F 2014 by Fattonz

Honda CRF230F 2014
  • * * * - -
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by xr clown
  • On November 29, 2014
Forums
Photo

Race Tech Emulator Set Up Database by werra

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  312 replies
Forums
Photo

Stickey: Jetting the 230F (Power-up Kit) by 230F

• Hot  512 replies
Forums
Photo

Possible Dirt in Engine by redrooster230

• 10 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.