How different is...

21 replies to this topic
  • Dirty Sanchez

Posted November 20, 2008 - 07:13 AM

....the '07 vs the '08 or '09 in terms of riding? Specifically, I want to to know how much the mechanical muffler has de-tuned the engine compared to the older one.

I've ridden the '07 YZF and it was ok, but a bit too much for me on trails. I want to know if the newer models' power is more forgiving for a guy coming off a 250F.

What do you guys think about an '09 model with the stock pipe (I want a quiet bike) and an added flywheel weight?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2008 - 07:31 AM

The '08/'09 with a stock exhaust has almost the same power at peak that one with any good aftermarket pipe. But the stock exhaust suppresses power through the mid range, and the cam timing, biased as it is toward top end power, softens the bottom quite a bit compared to earlier YZ450's.

A lot of people complain that the bike has no zap in that range, but then they go out and turn in better than normal lap times with it. From what you have said, I think you might find the stock system to your liking. If you want more juice later, add almost any good aftermarket pipe, and the exhaust cam from an '06. Meantime, a stock '09 with a weight might suit you fine.

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted November 20, 2008 - 07:41 AM

Good gas given. Thanks.

I'm unloading my 250F and looking at the '09 YZ250F, the YZ250, or a remote possibility of a slightly de-tuned '09 YZ450. I have a feeling that a dulled 450 is still going to be too much but it doesn't hurt to look at that option. At this moment I like the idea of taking away power (450) instead of trying to add power (250F) while keeping the bike quiet. Know what I mean?

• clutchless

Posted November 20, 2008 - 08:46 AM

i switched from a yz 250f to the 450f 07.

for power mods i added a slip on pro circuit pipe mostly for the spark arrestor and to get rid of the stock look.

while it was harder to turn at first, i found out i was going too slow and riding it wrong.

now that i have confidence controlling the extra weight, i can really use the increased power to go much faster pretty much everywhere.

the bike will climb hills like a champ as well.

i suggest you make the switch, 08 or 09 would be ideal. if you score a cheap 2008 then i would say the savings far outway the benefits of the 2009.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2008 - 08:53 AM

Yes, I do understand. And I agree that a larger displacement bike with a milder engine is generally a more enjoyable recreational bike than a smaller one with a beefed up engine. Small and tweaked, cantankerous, tempermantal and prone to break. Big and mild, very friendly and reliable.

But, don't go off and buy a bunch of stuff until you try the bike as is to start with. You can bring the power level down even farther, but they really are extremely manageable, just as they are.

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted November 20, 2008 - 08:57 AM

Could I please have a YZ350F? Throw in an electric start too ok?

:thumbsup:

The positive reviews that I'm hearing about the '09 YZ250F's new swingarm makes me think the same would be true for the '09 450. For a de-tuned 450 the new YZF is getting some rave reviews, especially going up against those much hyped EFI monsters.

• clutchless

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:06 AM

Could I please have a YZ350F? Throw in an electric start too ok?

The positive reviews that I'm hearing about the '09 YZ250F's new swingarm makes me think the same would be true for the '09 450. For a de-tuned 450 the new YZF is getting some rave reviews, especially going up against those much hyped EFI monsters.

pretty sure the new swingarm is just longer so you don't have to run the rear wheel all the way back.

my rear wheel is about 1.5" back almost as far as you can go.

as for detuning, you have tremendous torque and throttle control in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. the bike doesn't blast you off the seat. it's power is really easy to manage.

• erickdj

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:06 AM

If you want more juice later, add almost any good aftermarket pipe, and the exhaust cam from an '06.

So you're saying that the 06 exhaust cam will wake up an 08 that already has an aftermarket pipe?(DR.D) The Dr.D exhaust really woke up my 08. What could one expect by adding the 06 cam?

• clutchless

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:15 AM

So you're saying that the 06 exhaust cam will wake up an 08 that already has an aftermarket pipe?(DR.D) The Dr.D exhaust really woke up my 08. What could one expect by adding the 06 cam?

Posted Image

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:19 AM

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:28 AM

What could one expect by adding the 06 cam?

An increase in low, and especially mid range power at a very slight cost to peak power.

• bansheeater1

Posted November 20, 2008 - 11:50 AM

I would stay with the 07...i absolutely love my 07 450...people say its got to much zip on the trails...they are wrong..you just gotta learn how to handle it...and then its a blast!!

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted November 20, 2008 - 12:04 PM

I could ride it sure, but would it be as fun? Or would I get tired faster riding the '07? Important considerations when dropping that much coin on a new bike. I am planning on doing some hare scrambles too, so I don't want a bike that's going to kick me in the nuts too bad. lol

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2008 - 12:27 PM

If you want the '08/'09, buy it. The great thing is that in the case that it turns out you do want more mid range punch, it's very easy to get it. If you buy the '07 and decide it's got too much snap, it's a little harder to soften it.

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted November 20, 2008 - 12:32 PM

If you want the '08/'09, buy it. The great thing is that in the case that it turns out you do want more mid range punch, it's very easy to get it. If you buy the '07 and decide it's got too much snap, it's a little harder to soften it.

That was what I was thinking.

....and of course the white one looks sweet!

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted November 20, 2008 - 12:34 PM

Posted Image

Slightly off topic but.......

Oh boy, dat's gonna hurt!!!!:thumbsup:

• Stroker06

Posted November 22, 2008 - 05:51 PM

Depending on where and how you ride, have you considered a WR450? They are definitely milder than the YZF and have the magic button:D I was willing to give up the button for way more power in the woods that is why I got rid of the WR250F and got a '07 YZ450F. I only trail ride and just being able to twist the throttle to overcome 80% of the obstacles lets me become less tired when riding.
It does take a little getting used to the extra power, but after 2-3 rides I will never go back and am considering the purchase of a buddies KTM 525 that he bored to a 570:crazy: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: . He just went and got himself a Husaberg 550 with the dealer throwing in a new jug and piston to make it larger (650 or something, I forget).
The YZ450F from any year are awesome bikes and you just need to find the one with the best deal. From there like any bike you just need to make it right for you.

• gtxkid

Posted November 23, 2008 - 06:45 AM

Stay with the 07
I went from an 07 to an 08 and my advice is stay with an 07.
For the money you will save put half that back into an 07 and you will be real happy

• tribalbc

Posted November 23, 2008 - 07:25 AM

Depending on where and how you ride, have you considered a WR450? They are definitely milder than the YZF and have the magic button:D I was willing to give up the button for way more power in the woods that is why I got rid of the WR250F and got a '07 YZ450F. I only trail ride and just being able to twist the throttle to overcome 80% of the obstacles lets me become less tired when riding.

I was wondering the same thing, whether a wr450 wouldn't be better for your intended use. When I was in the market for a new bike 2 yrs ago I was at first leaning towards the YZ450 over the WR. But in the end I figured it would be cheaper to bring the WR were I wanted than the YZ. Plus the gearing is so much better for woods and they're simple to plate. Open's alot more riding opurtunities.
If your really adverse to the extra weight it might be a bit much but I've managed to shave around 10lbs from the wr and with the free mods and a YZ exhaust,, it rips but with smooth power that doesn't wear you down in the woods.

• Dirty Sanchez

Posted November 23, 2008 - 09:09 AM

My biggest problem with owning a 450 is the weight and how that weight feels on the trail. The only reason why I am debating a YZ250 vs a YZ450F is weight. I also have zero need for lights. An electric starter is nice but I don't have much of a problem kicking a bike.

Soooo.... a WR is nowhere on my list as a must have bike.

I really want to try out a '08/'09 YZ450F on the trail.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.