Found one, Do I want it?

12 replies to this topic
  • ibfurloughed

Posted January 21, 2003 - 06:33 AM

I bought a early production 2002 Dodge Ram, no laughter please, and it has been the biggest piece of S(*&^T you could think of.

Here's my question. How much different is this bike from the 426 and what kind of reliablity has the 426 had?

My main concern is the engine, I'm coming off a 99 yz250 2 smoke. Have the valves on the 426's required constant attention like the CRF450 guys talk about or have the Yamahas been more forgiving in this respect. Is the valve train on the new bike the same as the 426 or completely new.

Reliabilty is the big QUESTION I don't want to be a gennuia pig again.

Ben Rammed Once

• Dodger

Posted January 21, 2003 - 09:00 AM

0 problems with mine, valves have always been in spec (knock on wood).

Dodger :) :D

• ibfurloughed

Posted January 21, 2003 - 10:11 AM

Guess I wasn't clear on this post.

I found a WR450F, Do I want it?

Hope that clears up my post.

• ddialogue

Posted January 21, 2003 - 10:19 AM

If not, there are others that will.

• daytripper63

Posted January 21, 2003 - 11:37 AM

You must not have got the cummins diesel for power... And for the bike I have 02 wr426 reliable and dont have any concerns. If you take care of it, it will take care of you! :)

• David_Gronlund

Posted January 21, 2003 - 11:43 AM

Dude, that's one hell of a typo.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted January 21, 2003 - 12:31 PM

What he meant was he is afraid of the first model-year lemon factor. His Dodge was redesigned for that year and it was a POS.

He has found a WR 450 but is afraid of the same thing. Can he expect the WR 450 to be reliable? Will it be a lemon? Should he buy it?

:D :D :)

• adamwagar

Posted January 21, 2003 - 04:35 PM

When is the last time YAMAHA made a POS dirt bike??? :)

• radruss

Posted January 21, 2003 - 05:07 PM

Go ahead and get the bike.I have owned four first run yamaha's not one lemon in bunch. I know you will not be disappointed,and I have wr450f on order.(#5) :)

• ibfurloughed

Posted January 21, 2003 - 05:19 PM

Hick, thank you for being able to see so clearly though the muddy water I stirred up.

• XC800.X

Posted January 21, 2003 - 06:22 PM

I have an '02 as well so I have to ask, What problems have you had so far? So far, so good for me but is there something I need to be concerned about?

• ibfurloughed

Posted January 21, 2003 - 06:56 PM

2002 4X4 with 5.9 take a deep breath and here we go........

A/C compressor
high pressure A/C hose
Blower motor
another compressor
right rear power door lock
left headlight wire haress(no high beam)
right power window
left rear power door lock(waited 2 months parts this time,TSB)
last but not least rear diff chatter (carrier bearings)

They don't have a ready supply of parts for some systems which required many return visits for the same problem.

A/C 9 visits
door locks 5 visits
window only 1 that time
diff 2 visits
headlight 2 visits

Just my 2 cents but I don't feel that's a good average for a new truck with under 20,000 miles

• dirtdynamics

Posted January 21, 2003 - 07:21 PM

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.