Help with sprocket size

17 replies to this topic
  • doggerdan1

Posted November 19, 2008 - 06:31 PM

I just received my chain and sprocket set from rocky mountain MC. My bike has had a 13/50 and I've been happy with that. I ordered the stock size which is 14/52 with stock chain length and it won't fit. The sprocket is so huge it barely even fits in the chain guide and the wheel won't slide forward enough to get the chain ends connected. What am I missing here, how does a 52 fit?:thumbsup: What's strange is that the new chain is the same length as my old chain with 13/50.
2004 250exc BTW.

• Mike in Fresno

Posted November 19, 2008 - 06:38 PM

well you obviously need a longer chain. The biggest that will fit is a 53 and just barely fit too. Call RMATV and discuss this with them and get a chain 2-3 links longer and then it should work. Also the 14-52 is gearing yours up a hair.

• doggerdan1

Posted November 19, 2008 - 06:48 PM

I know a longer chain would work, but with the 52t the wheel will only go forward about half way up the axle slot before binding in the chain guide. Seems like it would put a lot of strain and wear on the chain guide even with the longer chain, but I guess it must be normal.

• goat200

Posted November 19, 2008 - 06:59 PM

Don't know about an '04 250, but my '08 300 has an ajustable chain guide for different sprocket sizes. Never tried it but thats what the manual says.

• doggerdan1

Posted November 19, 2008 - 07:26 PM

No adjustable chain guide. Here's a picture, the axle is only half way up the slot and the sprocket is bound in the guide. This just seems strange to me. Is it possible the wrong chain guide is installed?

• doggerdan1

Posted November 19, 2008 - 07:47 PM

Ya know what, I just remembered something. I bought this bike from my old riding buddy. He had just put some TM designworks chain guides on this bike when he bought a new 07 300. I think he took the TM stuff and put it on his new bike and the 07 stuff went on my bike. I think I have an 07 chain guide which I believe is the wrong part. Time for another trip to the shop tomorrow.

• Mike in Fresno

Posted November 19, 2008 - 07:47 PM

photo doesnt work, would like to see it. I put a 53t on a 02 400SX and it just rubbed a little. The sprocket and chain will "wear in" and cut the guide to fit.

• doggerdan1

Posted November 19, 2008 - 07:58 PM

The photo is showing up here. I just checked the parts fiche and the 07 and 04 take the same guide. I'll just have them send me a longer chain and get used to it.

Posted Image

• Mike in Fresno

Posted November 19, 2008 - 08:28 PM

that is ruff, turn the axle block around, take the metal off the chain guide and run it if that is what you want. Why are you changing to this size? Since it is a tight fit go with somethin using a 13 that is close, like 13-48 and run that. Then the chain would be long enuf as well. See if they will exchnage the sprocket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • doggerdan1

Posted November 19, 2008 - 09:56 PM

I thought I was already running the stock gear ratio, so I just ordered a stock size chain/sprocket kit and the 14/52 is what they sent. I'll just keep the chain and exchange the sprockets for a 13/50 combo.

• JaysDirtyRide

Posted November 20, 2008 - 08:22 AM

The photo is showing up here. I just checked the parts fiche and the 07 and 04 take the same guide. I'll just have them send me a longer chain and get used to it.

Posted Image

Ouch dude.

If it were mine (it's not)...I would not run it with the chain guide like that.

There should be adjustable chain guide available for your bike. The adjustable chain guide makes sproket size swaps worry free.

-Jay

• gmoss357

Posted November 20, 2008 - 08:27 AM

if you get a longer chain, it won't be near hitting the guide. 13/50 is stock.

• doggerdan1

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:38 AM

if you get a longer chain, it won't be near hitting the guide. 13/50 is stock.

13/50 is stock? My manual says 14/52 is stock.:thumbsup: I called RMMC today and they also say 14/52 is stock, so they sent me a 14/52 with 116 link chain which is supposedly the stock length and it's 3 links short. The 116 link chain with 13/50 sprockets is perfect.

• gmoss357

Posted November 20, 2008 - 09:57 AM

I downloaded the manual from here and it says 13/50 is stock. it was stock on my 05 as well.

• doggerdan1

Posted November 20, 2008 - 11:03 AM

I downloaded the manual from here and it says 13/50 is stock. it was stock on my 05 as well.

Thank you for that link, that makes much more sense. There seems to be a lot of misinformation in my printed KTM manual. This will also make it easier to get the return shipping reimbursed from RM.:thumbsup:

• llamaface

Posted November 20, 2008 - 12:03 PM

I know a longer chain would work, but with the 52t the wheel will only go forward about half way up the axle slot before binding in the chain guide. Seems like it would put a lot of strain and wear on the chain guide even with the longer chain, but I guess it must be normal.

this thread makes my head hurt. Looks like you already found out what the stock gearing is (13/50) same as my 04 250sx. My 250sx has some adjustment in the chain guide. a 52t sprocket fits fine (that's what's on there now).

Are you still running the aluminum outer cage for the chain guide? I tossed that so long ago I don't really remember what it looked like.

• doggerdan1

Posted November 20, 2008 - 12:50 PM

this thread makes my head hurt. Looks like you already found out what the stock gearing is (13/50) same as my 04 250sx. My 250sx has some adjustment in the chain guide. a 52t sprocket fits fine (that's what's on there now).

Are you still running the aluminum outer cage for the chain guide? I tossed that so long ago I don't really remember what it looked like.

My head hurts too. I was led to believe that the stock gearing was 14/52, which I just found out it is not. That 52 would probably work with a longer chain, but I certainly don't like the looks of it with that chain guide. Like I said, the printed KTM manual is wrong on so many things. RM is taking care of it and exchanging the sprockets for 13/50.

• llamaface

Posted November 20, 2008 - 02:13 PM

My head hurts too. I was led to believe that the stock gearing was 14/52, which I just found out it is not. That 52 would probably work with a longer chain, but I certainly don't like the looks of it with that chain guide. Like I said, the printed KTM manual is wrong on so many things. RM is taking care of it and exchanging the sprockets for 13/50.

kewl. I don't care for the stock setup on my 250sx, so i paid the extra $8 and bought the parts separately. I usually prefer to get the longest possible chain and run the axle all the way back. Seems to me that the 04 at least handles a lot better for a tall guy like me with the axle all the way back. Not that it matters much now since I mostly use that bike for chainsaw-toting or loaning to fast hot chicks with busted bikes of their own.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.